Search Community

Tweening objects in 3D space: how to determine "where things are"

cerulean test
Moderator Tag

I'm having some trouble grokking the relationship between an object's x and y position, and its 3D rotation and its z position. This is related to my earlier post (which Carl helpfully helped with) regarding moving an object within a random quadrangle. Here the object (it will be many) is moving back and forth between two lines projected in 3D space (so they are converging). I'd like to modify the code so that the object(s) at arbitrary positive z positions remain within the boundaries of an arbitrary quadrangle projected into 3D space.

I've read a fair amount — and gotten some useful results with getRelativeMatrix3D() in terms of positioning things in 3D space, but I'm not sure how to apply this to above.

Or should I use local3DToGlobal()? That seems somewhat inelegant (but perhaps not). But how does this apply to different points on a single object rotated in 3D space?

As a bonus question (and thanks for any help) -- what else are the essentials to know in Flash 3D? Camera? Vanishing point?

Thanks

post-8681-0-05674800-1365630779_thumb.jpg