Search Community

3D box opening / unfolding

Jasco test
Moderator Tag

Hi good people of the forum.

I'm trying to animate an opening gift box with the lid popping of and the sides folding down.

I was able to do a draft concept using shape tweens in Flash itself after struggling like hell trying to do it with TweenMax. (attached is the swf)

I'm fairly familiar with TweenMax / TimelineMax.

Something like TweenMax.to(mc, 2, {rotationY:90})  is easy but I quickly run into issues as far as the anchoring points go especially when it comes to the skewed sides.

Anybody got some great ideas to get me going?

Cheers

gift box.zip

Hi if you want to use TweenLite tweens to accurately animate the sides in 3D space you are going to first have to build your cube in 3D space.

Here is an excellent article on the basic concepts of constructing a cube:

http://blog.tech-soigne.com/index.php/create-3d-cube-in-flash-cs4-with-as3-actionscript-3-0/

All 3D transformations are going to happen around the registration point of the target object.

That tutorial has the registration point in the center of each "side" of the cube. 

For your sides to flap down with the bottom anchored, you will have to have your registration points on the bottom edge of each side. Once that is all in place you can do a tween like so

TweenLite.to(cube.front_mc, 1, {rotationX:90});

• 5 months later...

Hi Jasco,

You've done a great job! I'm trying to achieve a similar effect, how difficult was it to animate with Tweenlite once you'd defined the registration point? I'd be grateful for any advice on how you took the next steps.

Cheers