Search Community

Using GSAP with free WordPress themes

Rajeshkannan test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I am a WordPress theme developer.  I still give free themes to the WordPress community.  I want to use the effects by GSAP in the free themes.

Should i join club to release such free themes or should i buy club membership?

Thank you and you have opened my eyes that there are best alternatives in the world for jQuery in animation.

First of all, welcome to the forums and to the GSAP community. Thanks for asking about this. 

As long as your themes are truly free (no microtransactions either), you don't need the special commercial license that comes with "Business Green" Club GreenSock memberships. It would be an honor to have you using GSAP in your themes, even if you don't sign up for a membership. In fact, we encourage folks to use GSAP as much as possible, even in open source projects and giveaway stuff. Our goal is to create a standard for scripted animation, making it easier for everyone.

For details about licensing (in case someone else stumbles across this post later), see http://www.greensock.com/licensing/

I hope GSAP serves you well. Happy tweening!

Thanks for the quick reply Greensock.

Even though i understand a little on the licensing, i have other questions too.

Suppose, if I want to sell the WordPress Theme or a Web template html page with animations, can i buy "green" the $50 one for licensing.  I am just a starter in business. :)

Thanks again,

The $50 membership is just for individuals that want some of the bonus plugins and to support the project, but it doesn't come with any special commercial license (which is what you need for the usage you described). You'd need the "Business Green" level. If you check out http://www.greensock.com/business-case/, it'll help you discern if it's a wise business expense. There's an ROI calculator to determine how profitable it will be for you. As a business person, I'd definitely recommend evaluating what it will pay, not just how much it will cost. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. We're here to help.