Search Community

Error handling

gigbig test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

I have often stumbled on errors pointing to Greensock classes, on a certain misterious line that has appearantly nothing to do with the real problem, usually a missing/null object or an unknown property.

Is there a way to handle errors (try-catch) caused by tweens? I'd like to know about a missing object before crashing into a GSAP class.

Unfortunately try/catch statements are incredibly slow, so it would kill performance in the tweening engine, and as I'm sure you know, top-notch performance is absolutely essential in a tweening engine. So no, we can't add try/catch statements inside the engine. Typically the only time you'll get an error with tweening is if you pass in a null reference as the target of the tween or if you're doing something 3D-related and then mixing that with a transform.matrix-related tween/plugin due to how Flash nulls the transform.matrix as soon as you apply any 3D effect. 

Of course you're welcome to add try/catch statements around your code that's creating tweens (not sure that'd help in your scenario).

If you've got a specific problem, we'd be happy to help. Feel free to post a file that demonstrates the issue (the simpler the better).