Search Community

GSAP Mouse Driven Parallax 3D scene with working example

Zuriel test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

cx = Math.ceil($('body').width() / 2.0);
        cy = Math.ceil($('body').height() / 2.0);
        dx = event.pageX - cx;
        dy = event.pageY - cy;

tiltx = (dy / cy);
        tilty = - (dx / cx);
        radius = Math.sqrt(Math.pow(tiltx,2) + Math.pow(tilty,2));
        degree = (radius * 20);

$('#picture').css('-webkit-transform','rotate3d(' + tiltx + ', ' + tilty + ', 0, ' + degree + 'deg)');

how would you write the picture.css using rotateX and rotateY and make it work in firefox?   can rotate3D type webkit transitions be converted somehow.  i know you can just animate the above line for webkit but i am wonder if firefox can get love too

• Like 1

Normally you control 3D rotation in GSAP with rotationX, rotationY, and rotationZ, but the css rotate3d() is a bit different because it is for creating a vector and then rotating around that vector. You could try something like this:

//OLD:
$('#picture').css('-webkit-transform','rotate3d(' + tiltx + ', ' + tilty + ', 0, ' + degree + 'deg)');

//NEW:
TweenLite.set("#picture", {transform:'rotate3d(' + tiltx + ', ' + tilty + ', 0, ' + degree + 'deg)'});

Let us know if that works okay for you. 

Here is a working jsfiddle of the demo.  tested on firefox and safari.  looks cool!  going to use it in a project!

http://jsfiddle.net/Zuriel/qGcd9/

I notice that when i rotate to far to the right it clips into my view and the whole image vanishes.  i wonder if that is because of my demo or if it has a issue that needs fixing.  Otherwise it looks pretty good and I am happy ;)

• Like 3

what exactly does the above code make nicer?  the animation, rotation, or adding anti-aliasing? I know that I already used one trick of a 1px transparent border that gives perfect anti-aliasing in firefox already.  but i'll check it out anyway and see what the secret sauce is all about.

When I looked at it, Firefox was doing a horrible job rendering it (I'll see if I can get a screenshot later). I tried the rotation trick (didn't know about the transparent border one though - thanks for that) and the anti-aliasing kicked in.

Hmm this was on my work pc though (should have been latest Firefox...), and I just checked here at home and you are right; it looks great without needing the rotation. Very strange. I'll see if things are the same at work tomorrow.

i am on a PC right now and it looks terrible in firefox.  it isn't anti-aliasing that is the problem.  its that the animation is jumpy.  it looks like its scaling up and down at a fast rate as its trying to animate.  when I apply your fix to it, it fixes the smoothness of the animation (not rapidly scaling or jumping) but it blows the perspective away so that everything looks isometric.   Does anyone know why that is?

-moz-transform: perspective(1000px), rotation(0.001deg);

I noticed that the ,rotation code in CSS isn't actually doing anything.. in fact, what its really doing is making the moz perspective tag invalid.

i can generate the same effect by just removing perspective completely.  it fixes the smoothing, but it makes the perspective 0.  I wonder if there is a solution to fix it that we can generate in the tween rather than in the css.

also.. check it out! 

http://jsfiddle.net/Zuriel/qGcd9/

i made it super super sexy.  I figured placeholder images were just not appropriate for cool 3D effects.

• Like 1

Hmm yea I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to notice the change in perspective. Also I had the combined css transforms wrong... there is not supposed to be a comma separator (not that that fixes the problem).

It was definitely smoothed by default when I checked at home last night though. Both PCs are on Windows 7 with latest Firefox. Work PC has ATI Radeon HD 3450, home is NVIDIA GTX570. I wonder if this is a case of Firefox picking and choosing whether to step up to hardware accelerated transforms based on GPU power or brand?

p.s. those new images definitely make it super sexy, nice job!

• 3 years later...

just wanted to do something similar to the Zuriels demo - I have noticed the performance is bad in MS Edge browser (FPS dips way below 30 many times).

I modified to check if it was the 3d transformations - but here it runs smoothly: http://jsfiddle.net/qGcd9/388/

So I guess it is either TweenMax.set og the mouse event that chokes IE ... I mean Edge :)

Any suggestions for a better Edge friendly approach?