Search Community

pause timeline not working

Big Dave test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello,

I'm a fairly experienced Greensock user (AS3) making the transition to the GSAP (JS) version.

I'm working up a simple animation using TweenMax in the latest Edge Animation application. The code below is working fine until I try to pause the timeline. When I uncomment the pause command the animation will not play, comment it out and it plays fine.

Am I missing something simple here?

var tl = new TimelineMax();

tl.to(c3b1, .35, {opacity:0.0}, 1.5);

tl.staggerTo([c1b1, c1b2, c1b3, c1b4, c2b1, c3b1, c3b2], .35, {opacity:1.0 , scale:1}, 0);

//tl.pause();

tl.to(c3b2, .35, {x:680}, 2.5);

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

David

Well, first of all, welcome - I know things can feel a little funky when you jump from AS3 over to JS (in general). Hopefully you'll at least feel comfortable working with GSAP.

On to your question...

I'm confused - you want the timeline to play even though it's paused? From what you're describing, it sounds like it is behaving exactly as it should.

Thank you for the prompt reply to my question.

I wanted the timeline to pause after the first two tweens and before the last one. Just as In the sequence that it appears.

I planned to insert a button to call the "tl.play();" command after the pause. But it seems as though "tl.pause();" pauses the timeline at the beginning instead of after the first two tweens.

Best,

David

I think you meant something like this:

var tl = new TimelineMax();
tl.to(c3b1, .35, {opacity:0.0}, 1.5);
tl.staggerTo([c1b1, c1b2, c1b3, c1b4, c2b1, c3b1, c3b2], .35, {opacity:1.0 , scale:1}, 0);
tl.call(function() { tl.pause(); });
tl.to(c3b2, .35, {x:680}, 2.5);

Or you could just use a tweenTo() to tween to a specific spot (and then stop), like:

tl.tweenTo(2.2);

In which case you wouldn't need that tl.call() in there at all.

Oh, and make sure you snag the latest files because the timeline API changed recently - see http://www.greensock.com/v12-api-change/ for details.

Jack,

Thank you, both solutions work fine.

I was thinking that the "tl.pause();" was just appended to the timeline. I obviously need to do some more reading of the JS doc. You have the patience of a saint...

Great products, keep up the good work.

Best,

David