Search Community

TimelineMax troubles

vsiege test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm having a ton of trouble trying to use TimelineMax for JS. I cannot get it to work at all. I must be missing something (if not a few things). I am trying to use the appendMultiple and insertMultiple methods, but nothing seems to be happening.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
   <meta charset="utf-8">
   <title>Tweening</title>
   <link type="text/css" href="exts_css/objects2Move.css" rel="stylesheet" />
   <script type="text/javascript" src="exts_js_global/thirdParty/greensock-v12-js/src/minified/plugins/CSSPlugin.min.js"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript" src="exts_js_global/thirdParty/greensock-v12-js/src/minified/easing/EasePack.min.js"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript" src="exts_js_global/thirdParty/greensock-v12-js/src/minified/TweenLite.min.js"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript" src="exts_js_global/thirdParty/greensock-v12-js/src/minified/TimelineMax.min.js"></script>
   <script> 
var r = document.getElementById("tiny");
    function hello() {

TweenLite.to(r, 1, {css:{top:"200px", left:"450px", backgroundColor:"#FF0000"}, ease:Power2.easeOut});
    }
    var tl = new TimelineMax();
    tl.append(TweenLite.to(r, 1, {css:{top:"200px", left:"450px", backgroundColor:"#FF0000"}, ease:Power2.easeOut}));

function animateAll(){
	    tl.play();
    }
   </script>
</head>
<body>
<div id="tiny">
   help
</div>
<a href="#" onclick="animateAll()" style="left:220px; position:absolute;">Press me</a>
</body>
</html>

I would suggest placing your <script> block right before the closing </body> tag. This way when you define

var r = document.getElementByID("tiny");

javascript will have access to that div. Right now I'm pretty sure that script is running before the DOM is even processed.

I couldn't see your css but it is imperative that the object you are doing a positional tween on has its position property set to absolute or relative (i did this inline in the example below)

<div id="tiny" style="position:absolute;">
help
</div>
<a href="#" onclick="animateAll();" style="left:220px; position:absolute;">Press me</a>
<script> 
var r = document.getElementById("tiny");
function hello() {
TweenLite.to(r, 1, {css:{top:"200px", left:"450px", backgroundColor:"#FF0000"}, ease:Power2.easeOut});
}
var tl = new TimelineMax({paused:true});
tl.append(TweenLite.to(r, 1, {css:{top:"200px", left:"450px", backgroundColor:"#FF0000"}, ease:Power2.easeOut}));
function animateAll(){
tl.restart();
}
</script>

In addition I also paused the timeline upon creation via the constructor vars like so

var tl = new TimelineMax({paused:true});

Otherwise the timeline would play automatically, which isn't bad, but since you were using tl.play(), that means that once the timeline was done playing, play() wouldn't do anything as it would play from its current position and timelines don't loop back to the beginning.

restart() always will play from the beginning.

give the code above a try and let us know if it works out for you. If so, you should have a good starting point for experimenting with appendMultiple()

Carl