Search Community

Multiple Errors in Flash Builder 4.7

shane7 test
Moderator Tag

Hi there,

I upgraded my Flash Builder this morning, and all of a sudden my TweenLite.as is giving off warnings that have NEVER popped up in my life.

It says:

Assignment within conditional. Did you mean == instead of =?

I've tried upgrading to GSAP v12, But instead of 1 error warning, it gave off 10, in different Greensock files... so I went back to 11.

Any solutions?

Really need to get this project finished

Regards

Shane

Those are erroneous errors/warnings. It's complaining about a statement like this:

if ((myVariable = obj.whatever)) {

}

Which is perfectly valid - it just assigns obj.whatever to myVariable and evaluates whether or not it's false/null. It's a more concise way of doing:

myVariable = obj.whatever;
if (myVariable) {

}

And it can be particularly useful for improving performance when there's an if/elseif statement because if the first part is true, the 2nd condition doesn't even have to get evaluated. For example:

if (isPlaying) {
} else if ((myVariable = obj.getValue())) {
   myVariable.blah = "blah";
}

If isPlaying is true, then myVariable never gets set to obj.getValue() which also saves us a function call. That's much better than setting myVariable up front and then running the conditions.

See what I mean?

Flash Builder is trying to be helpful and it's assuming that we meant == instead of = because it's in a conditional. Not true in this case. Thanks, Flash Builder, but leave me alone and move along. Nothing to see here. :)

If you're actually getting compiler errors, please let us know and post a very simple example FLA that we can publish to see the errors.

And for the record, I'd definitely recommend v12 over v11. It's rock solid and more feature-packed. The main thing delaying v12's launch is some work we're doing on the JavaScript side of things.

Wow! Fantastic!

Thanks so much for helping me understand it all. Makes way more sense now.

Definitely a case of Flash Builder trying to be a know it all :)

It was just warnings, so I'm definitely going to upgrade to v12 again.

Thanks so much again for everything, and great work on the platform. Definitely a life saver!

Regards

Shane

• 5 months later...

Hi Shane, 

totally agree with Adobe being silly regarding this.  The problem is, with Air 3.6, it is now impossible to compile IOS apps using Tween* as Adobe INSIST one cannot use your cleverness. 

I fixed this by manually going through your code and doing what you suggest above:

myVariable = obj.whatever;
if (myVariable) {...

Any chance you could incorporate this 'unnecessarily long' way of doing things in future versions?

cheers,
Andy.

}

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...