Search Community

Cursor slows down over transform items

avidcoder test
Moderator Tag

Sometimes the mouse cursor will slow down when moving it over a transform item. For example when I move my my mouse pointer over any other part of the app the pointer moves at 100% speed. Then when I move the mouse over a selected transform item and the move cursor appears the mouse sometimes slows as much as 50%. Unfortunately I can not create consistent steps to reproduce.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or have an idea what could be causing the cursor to lag?

I am using FlexTransformManager 1.9664.

Thanks!

No, I'm not aware of any such issues nor can I imagine why it'd happen unless maybe you've got code in place that is listening for MOUSE_MOVE events and canceling the default behavior on the MouseEvent or something (I doubt it). It could be an anomaly with the Flex framework itself which is known for having a lot of bugs and poor performance. Tough to say without seeing an example file that clearly reproduces the issue. I really wish I could offer a specific solution here :(

Hey, do you have custom "move" cursor with transform items? For me it slows down too but by changing cursor to default it works okay. It was more like an issue with (dragging/moving?) custom cursors. Even with greensock.com transformmanager demo cursor moves goes very slow when hovering selected transform items with "move" cursor, might be something to do with flash player too... Also I have noticed it depends of browser. For me IE9 works perfectly, Chrome has some minor issues and Firefox is worst for what I have tested. Also I noticed problem with SHIFT + RESIZE ( proportional resize ) with Firefox. It is very slow but with IE9 it works perfectly. Quite interesting... :D

That definitely points to a Flash Player and/or browser issue. It works perfectly for me in every browser I have tested including Firefox. I'm not quite sure what to recommend, but I'm pretty sure it's not a TransformManager issue. If you come across any evidence to the contrary or any workarounds, please do let us know.

I've noticed this same thing. At first I thought it was something with our app and the TransformManager, but then I noticed it on Yahoo's financial page as well, doing the same thing. The cursor moves oddly and seems to ease.

It's definitely something to do with Flash Player / browser, as I've seen it in other places as well.

I've only noticed it in Chrome, as FF has never shown me this issue.

• Like 1

This is also happenning with the example in http://www.greensock...formmanageras3/, and only happens in Firefox.

However its happening all the time. Using the transform tool looks clumsy and slow.

My firefox version is 15.0.1, and flash version is 14.4.402

I was about to buy this tool but now i dont know, this firefox problem makes me wonder.

Is there something that can be donde about it?

It is a very uncommon issue (I can't seem to replicate it at all on any of my computers, but it is almost surely an issue with the Flash Player itself which we have no control over (I wish we did).

Even if you don't buy TransformManager and try to build a similar tool yourself or buy one like it (I don't know of any), you'll still have the same issue with the cursor (unless you don't do a custom cursor).

Keep in mind that there's a 30-day money-back guarantee, so if you buy it and don't like it, you can get a full refund. Feedback has been extremely positive about TransformManager; I'm pretty confident you'll like it.

Jack, just wondering if you've tried detecting native cursor support in Flash 10.2+, and using that instead? In my experience they stay super smooth all the time as they're entirely independent of Flash's framerate, but if you've encountered issues with this method that's understandable.

(also I'm noticing some slowdown in the cursors for the TransformManager example in Opera 12.02 using Flash Player 11.4.402.265 if that helps)

The reason I hesitate to use native cursor stuff is because doing so would suddenly force users to only publish to Flash Player 10.2 or later, but there are plenty of sites that want compatibility with Flash Player 9. See what I mean? And it becomes pretty awkward to try to support mis-matched feature sets and get around data typing issues and compiler errors that would normally plague this type of thing. I'm still unable to reproduce this issue on any of my systems, even in Opera with FP 11.4.4x. I'm sure it's happening for you, but I'm hopeful that it's just a rare FP bug that Adobe will resolve in a future update soon.

• 3 weeks later...

So I tried setting the cursor style using ExternalInterface but Flash seems to ignore the style. So the cursor style appears correct when you are outside of the Flash application but returns to the default style when the mouse goes over Flash... this is really unfortunate.

I also tried attaching TransformManager.snapCursor() to the ENTER_FRAME event rather than MOUSE_MOVE. This fixes the slowness of the cursor but makes the cursor more "jumpy".

Jack, maybe you could abstact the CustomCursor so that you could easily swap out the current implementation with the native cursor implementation without having to worry about maintaining multiple TransformManager code bases. For example TransformMananger could work with an ITransformCursor interface that both CustomCursor and NativeCustomCursor could implement. This would greatly improve an already awesome piece of software.

Gosh, I really wish I could see this problem somehow. Ugh. I've tried on my Mac and PC in various browsers and no dice. Works great. Anyway, I'm curious - did you try listening for BOTH MOUSE_MOVE and ENTER_FRAME to reposition the cursor? Does that help at all?

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Gosh, I'd really like to help but I can't justify adding that kind of functionality right now because:

1. It would change the system requirements for the product, meaning users would have to publish to a later version of the Flash Player which would likely be unacceptable to many users. Currently TransformManager is totally compatible with Flash Player 9.
  2. I can't reproduce the problem at all on my end (not on any of my computers and I've tried in Chrome and pretty much every other browser on Windows 7). Of course I'm sure it's happening for you, but the fact that it seems so difficult to reproduce leads me to believe it's not terribly common. Have you tried on many other computers? Can you ascertain what the variables are?
  3. It clearly seems like a Flash Player bug, not some deficiency in TransformManager.
  4. We're SUPER focused on some other projects right now that benefit a much larger audience and require a lot of attention and focus currently. Trust me, I love adding features and helping users like yourself to overcome problems but with limited time, we need to focus on what will deliver the biggest benefit to the biggest number of users.

Please feel free to give it a shot on your end and let us know if you figure out a good solution with native custom cursors (or whatever).

Sorry this question isn't completely related to the current topic, but is there any way to change the icons used for the handles of the transform box, currently they are squares, would I be able to use circles or a custom icon?

Thanks, Jake