Search Community

Top/Down Orbiting and Scrolling Background

Neo Murakami test
Moderator Tag

So I have been searching for a way to have a background orbit a center. I came across the greensock blitmask that does an amazing job of wrapping the bitmap data to do infinte scrolling effects. However, I can't figure out a way to use this blitmask to rotate and still have the wrapping effect. I attached a SWF file to demostrate what i'm trying to accomplish.

WASD keys control the movement

cosc469.zip

Hi, I downloaded your swf. It appears to be a static image. Am I missing something?

Although the target of a BlitMask can rotate, it will require that you recapture the bitmap over and over again and thus you will lose the performance gains of re-using the pixel data of a single bitmap over and over again.

When the target changes its rotation or scale, the internal bitmap must be recaptured (try to avoid this if possible because it degrades performance).

http://www.greensock.com/blitmask/

BlitMask was optimized for vertical scrolling. For rotating large bitmaps have you looked at using the TransformMatrixPlugin as illustrated here http://www.greensock.com/tweening-tips/ ?

You may get some decent gains just from using that plugin.

The image that moves on top of the static background is the image I would like to rotate and wrap. If you'll the edges of that image when you control the ship to move toward the edges of it, I would like that image to wrap even after its been roated as if to have an infinite universe.

I understand blitmask performs slower when having to recapture the the target but I havent been successful in getting that wrap affect after rotating(not even just changing Y values) any other way and was hoping blitmask could help for this. I'll look into the TransformMatrixPlugin you mentioned. Thank you for the response. If you have any other suggestions, perhaps a method you could think of to pull this off i'm all ears.