Search Community

Throwprops for iPad

ektorp test
Moderator Tag

I am looking to create an iPad app with an image gallery with a standard scrolling thumbnail tray that scrolls. Clicking on a thumbnail will launch a full sized image. The best example I've seen of this using Flash/AIR is with Redbull's Illume iPad app. Does anyone know if Throwprops was used for this scrolling panel used in the gallery thumbnails. If not, do you know if Throwprops can achieve this level of performance. The performance is indistinguishable from a native iOS app. I am definitely interested in becoming a Greensock member and getting the plugin and was just wondering if this is the performance we can expect with the Throwprops plugin. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if the Redbull app uses ThrowProps specifically, but I can tell you that ThrowPropsPlugin is highly optimized for performance and I have heard from many developers who have been thrilled with the results. Typically, script execution isn't the performance bottleneck in apps, though - it's graphics rendering which is unrelated to the animation engine. So if you're using ThrowPropsPlugin to scroll a massive set of graphics (even if most of it isn't visible on the screen), that can be a bear for the processor to manage. That's why I built BlitMask too, though - that can really help performance in some situations where you're scrolling very large objects. See http://www.greensock.com/blitmask/ for details. And of course ThrowPropsPlugin and BlitMask can be used together (as some of the interactive demos show, complete with sample code).

Also, keep in mind that if you join the club and don't like it (for whatever reason), you can get a full refund. I think you'll like the tools, though.

Let us know how things go for you.

I don't maintain a list of that sort of thing, no, (sorry) but maybe some folks will chime in here who have used it. I know for sure that iOS developers have been using ThrowPropsPlugin and like I said, they've had glowing reviews (at least the ones I've heard from) :)