Search Community

Loading an image and applying a drop shadow

mrEmpty test
Moderator Tag

Using ImageLoader to grab an image and place it into sprite container...

pageImageLoader.append( new ImageLoader(pageImage, {name:"mainImage", container:imageBox, scaleMode:"proportionalOutside", crop:true, width:520, height:685}) );
   pageImageLoader.load();

is causing me problems if I set the size of the sprite (imageBox) immediately before performing the load.

I need to have a drop shadow on the images (not created in the image itself sadly) so I'm applying a drop shadow filter tot he sprite that I load the image into. I set the size of the sprite to be the size of the image loaded, load the image, but then the loaded image is stretched out vertically. So whilst the above code works, this code wont:

imageBox.width = 520;
   imageBox.height = 685;
   pageImageLoader.append( new ImageLoader(pageImage, {name:"mainImage", container:imageBox, scaleMode:"proportionalOutside", crop:true, width:520, height:685}) );
   pageImageLoader.load();

Any ideas?

Thanks.

yeah, i don't think you should set the width and height of an empty element, in this case your imageBox. When you alter the size of a container directly, all children get resized as well.

when you do

imageBox.width = 520

you are stretching imageBox to be 520px wider than it normally is and thus its children get stretched when they are added.

instead of setting width and size, draw an invisible Shape into the sprite with the width and height that you need.