Search Community

parallax scrolling

Louisa test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello!

The new release looks brilliant!!!!! So exciting!!!!

Little question...

Is parallax scrolling possible using GSAP? Absolutely love the effect but just can't manage to work out how to do it across all browsers!

Thanks!

Louisa

Yes! It's totally possible. In fact, with most jQuery parallax type plugins/fx you can merely substitute the jQuery animation calls with TweenLite/TweenMax calls and have better/smoother performance all the way around. The main thing to work out is the math of the layers from back to front and their max widths in relation to the left/right movement or parallax effect. In this example, it's simple hard-coded values, but can easily be made 'dynamic' with a little math work on the layers.

Here's my starter parallax JS Code that uses simple TweenLite calls.

parallax.zip

<!-- Assumes jQuery is loaded first! -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/jQuery/jquery-1.7.2.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/greensock/easing/EasePack.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/greensock/plugins/CSSPlugin.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/greensock/TweenLite.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" >
function doParallax(){
var backLayer = document.getElementById('depthB');
var middleLayer = document.getElementById('depthM');
var frontLayer = document.getElementById('depthF');
$('#viewPort').mousemove(
	function(event){
		var bMouse = event.pageX / 7.7;
		TweenLite.to(backLayer, 1, { css:{left:'-' + bMouse + 'px'}, overwrite:true } );
		var mMouse = event.pageX / 2.5;
		TweenLite.to(middleLayer, 1, { css:{left:'-' + mMouse + 'px'}, overwrite:true } );
		var fMouse = event.pageX / 1.4;
		TweenLite.to(frontLayer, 1, { css:{left:'-' + fMouse + 'px'}, overwrite:true } );
	}
);
}
setTimeout('doParallax()', 2000);
</script>
<!-- sample html for above -->
<div id="viewPort" style="position:absolute; border-style:solid; border-color:#FF0000; border-width:thin; width:700px; height:170px; z-index:4; left:0px; top:15px;">View Port</div>
<div id="depthB" style="position:absolute; background-color:#666666; width:794px; height:200px; z-index:3; left:0px; top:0px; opacity:0.2;">Layer Back</div>
<div id="depthM" style="position:absolute; background-color:#888888; width:982px; height:150px; z-index:2; left: 0px; top: 50px; opacity:0.2;">Layer Middle</div>
<div id="depthF" style="position:absolute; background-color:#bbbbbb; width:1202px; height:100px; z-index:1; left: 0px; top: 100px; opacity:0.2;">Layer Front</div>

Thanks Randall! Brilliant!!!! I spent quite a few very frustrating days trying to work out how to achieve a parallax scroll, so thank you so much for the above (and it's with Greensocks :-P )!! Haven't tried it yet but it's on todays to do list!

Again 'brilliant!' and thanks!!! :-P

Pretty much just a base starter example of the concept behind the parallax. Sorry everyone, I didn't include all of the necessary imports [CSSPlugin.js was required too]. A new ZIP is attached below and the code updated in my earlier post. Just throw the Greensock files in the appropriate js/greensock/ folder and you should be good to go.

parallax.zip

Thanks for the updates, Randall!

I was wondering if someone might be able to take a look at my example site (http://www.elitemedia.us/parallax/parallax.html). I used the same exact .html file in the zip and included the proper greensock & jQuery files in the correct locations.

Everything looks right to me, however I'm still getting no cool parallax motion action. Please help a greensock JS brother out and take a look? I only want to be able to see this example in sweet scrolling motion!

Yikes - it looks like you're using Grant Skinner's TweenJS's CSSPlugin.js file instead of the GreenSock one. Doh! http://www.elitemedia.us/parallax/js/greensock/plugins/CSSPlugin.js (that ain't a GreenSock file).

Once you put the correct file in place, you should be good-to-go. And I'd recommend grabbing the latest version too (there have been a few minor updates since the initial beta launch).

http://www.greensock.com/v12/

• Like 1

haha, yikes indeed! Guess that's what happens when you try new things late at nights. You get your CSSPlugin.js files all mixed up! (had been using TweenJS's cssplugin previously)

Thanks for taking a look and finding the obvious fix. Works like a charm now! And thanks again Randall for the original code. Now, time for more experimentation!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...