Search Community

Feature Request

thrasherstudios77 test
Moderator Tag

I tried using the LoaderMax.parse for the first time as my data is a mix of images, videos and swf's. However I realized that I would not be able to use it because LoaderMax lacks a getChildAt(index:uint) type method. Let me explain

So I have a loadMedia(index:uint) method that gets called whenever media needs to be loaded. It takes in an index. Normally I query the loader I want to load like this:

LoaderMax.getLoader("media_" + id);

but because I cannot dynamically add an id or a name to each parsed loader I would need to add a name or id attribute to each media node in my XML which is kinda tedious. This kind of situation would be made easier to deal with if there was a getChildAt method for loaders, like this

public function loadMedia(index:uint):void{
  var ldr:* = mediaLoader.getChildAt(index);
  ldr.load();

}

I figured out a work around if anyone is interested.

//
//
mediaLoader = LoaderMax.parse(mediaArray,
		   {  // Loader Vars
		  name:"mediaLoader",
		  maxConnections:1,
		  onProgress:mediaProgress,
		  onChildComplete:mediaLoaded,
		  onComplete:allMediaLoaded,
		  onIOError:ioErrorHandler
		   }
);

public function loadMedia(id:uint):void {

var loaders:Array = mediaLoader.getChildren();
 loaders[id].load(); // Load a single media item
}

Unfortunately I still cannot use the .parse method because I need to add estimatedBytes properties to each of my loaders. Which would mean adding LoaderMax nodes to my XML which I don't want to do. I guess this method is really for those adding LoaderMax related nodes to their XML. Very cool feature but just can't use it for what I want to do.

I'm confused. There already is a getChildAt() method. http://greensock.com...tml#getChildAt() Am I missing something?

Well how about that...getChildAt doesn't show up in my code hinting for some reason (FlashDevelop) getChildren() and getChildIndex() do but not getChildAt(), should have looked at the docs more closely. I thought it strange you didn't include that feature but you did ;)

Now I need a way to switch between which type of loader being returned to my getMedia() method. I could just use a switch statement but I am wondering if LoaderMax doesn't come with a feature I may have overlooked like LoaderMax.type or something?

Yes, getChildAt() wasn't in the original version - it was added later. It has been in there for a while, though.

As far as type checking, wouldn't it be as simple as:

if (loader is SWFLoader) {
} else if (loader is ImageLoader) {
} else if (loader is XMLLoader) {
}

?

Yes, getChildAt() wasn't in the original version - it was added later. It has been in there for a while, though.

As far as type checking, wouldn't it be as simple as:

if (loader is SWFLoader) {
} else if (loader is ImageLoader) {
} else if (loader is XMLLoader) {
}

?

Yeah that would work great for checking the loaders after they have been created.

Thanks Jack