Search Community

I'm trying to get TimelineMax to Delay

yarone test
Moderator Tag

I'm trying to get TimelineMax to Delay its start for 3 sec and it Doesn't work

I used the methods listed in the Documentation, with no success.

ill be glad for any help.

This is the code I'm useing

function stars_OP():void
{
var timeline_OP:TimelineMax = new TimelineMax();
var clips_OP:Array = getChildrenOf_OP(Object(this).phone_anim_mc.container2_mc);

function buildTimeline_OP(e:MouseEvent = null):void
{
 timeline_OP.gotoAndStop(timeline_OP.duration);
 timeline_OP.clear();
 clips_OP = shuffleArray_OP(clips_OP);
 var a:int = clips_OP.length;
 while (--a > -1)
 {
  var Randsize_OP = Math.floor(Math.random()*(1-0+1))+0;
  var clip_poz_x_OP = clips_OP[a].x;
  var clip_poz_y_OP = clips_OP[a].y;
  var poz_x_Rand_OP = Math.floor(Math.random()*((clip_poz_x_OP+250)-(clip_poz_x_OP)+1))+(clip_poz_x_OP);
  var poz_y_Rand_OP = Math.floor(Math.random()*((clip_poz_y_OP+20)-(clip_poz_y_OP-5)+1))+(clip_poz_y_OP-5);

timeline_OP.append(TweenMax.from(clips_OP[a], 0.5, {alpha:0, scaleX:Randsize_OP, scaleY:Randsize_OP,x:poz_x_Rand_OP, y:poz_y_Rand_OP, blurFilter:{blurX:20, blurY:20, quality:1},  ease:Expo.easeOut}), -0.24);
 }
 timeline_OP.gotoAndPlay(0);
}

buildTimeline_OP();
}

I tried this

[left]var timeline_OP:TimelineMax = new TimelineMax({Delay:3});[/left]

and

timeline_OP.Delay = 3;

I'd LOVE to see an example FLA that demonstrates the "delay" not working. It worked perfectly in all my tests, so I wonder if there's something else going on in your file. Feel free to post it here so we can publish and see the symptoms for ourselves.

in the future, please try to simplify your files so that only the code in question is included. you had 3 timelines in there and it wasn't really clear what objects the one in question controlled.

That said, you are bypassing the delay by using

timeline_OP.gotoAndPlay(0)

I think i know where the confusion lies. the delay does not add time to your timeline's duration or add dead space to the beginning, it simply is an amount of time that will transpire before the playhead starts advancing.

here is the function that builds a timeline and accurately waits 4 seconds before it begins:

function buildTimeline_OP(e:MouseEvent = null):void
{

var timeline_OP:TimelineMax = new TimelineMax({delay:4});
var clips_OP:Array = getChildrenOf_OP(Object(this).phone_anim_mc.container2_mc);

clips_OP = shuffleArray_OP(clips_OP);
 var a:int = clips_OP.length;
 while (--a > -1)
 {
  var Randsize_OP = Math.floor(Math.random()*(1-0+1))+0;
  var clip_poz_x_OP = clips_OP[a].x;
  var clip_poz_y_OP = clips_OP[a].y;
  var poz_x_Rand_OP = Math.floor(Math.random()*((clip_poz_x_OP+250)-(clip_poz_x_OP)+1))+(clip_poz_x_OP);
  var poz_y_Rand_OP = Math.floor(Math.random()*((clip_poz_y_OP+20)-(clip_poz_y_OP-5)+1))+(clip_poz_y_OP-5);

timeline_OP.append(TweenMax.from(clips_OP[a], 0.5, {alpha:0, scaleX:Randsize_OP, scaleY:Randsize_OP,x:poz_x_Rand_OP, y:poz_y_Rand_OP, blurFilter:{blurX:20, blurY:20, quality:1},  ease:Expo.easeOut}), .24);
 }

}

also, if you set a delay on a timeline and pause it in the constructor like so:

var tl:TimelineMax  = new TimelineMax( {delay:4, paused:true} );

if you build your timeline, and then say wait for the user to click something to start playing the timeline you can do

tl.play()

and the 4 second delay will kick in before the timeline starts progressing.

but if you do

tl.gotoAndPlay(0)

that will bypass the delay entirely

so will

tl.restart();

hope that clears things up.

Because you're telling the timeline to go to its 0 time and play - it wouldn't make sense to force a delay. What if you didn't want the delay and you wanted to play exactly from time:0? See the problem?

However, you can use the restart() method which accepts a parameter indicating whether or not the delay should be included. So your code would be:

timeline_OP.restart(true);

• Like 1

yes i see the Conflict

On the one hand

You declare that you want a Delay

On the other hand

you right gotoAndPlay(0)

but isn't gotoAndPlay Something that "live's" in movie clip scope

and the delay is something that works on a clip as a Regardless of the position of the time line.

I understand the technical way to deal with this in the Future

just discussing the logic Behind it

but isn't gotoAndPlay Something that "live's" in movie clip scope

and the delay is something that works on a clip as a Regardless of the position of the time line.

I don't understand your logic here. So are you saying that if I set a delay:3 on a TimelineMax and then do gotoAndPlay(1), it would delay for 3 seconds and then play from time:1? That doesn't seem the least bit intuitive to me, but maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are you saying that the delay would only apply if I gotoAndPlay(0)? If so, it would be impossible for me to ever play from the beginning without the delay?