Search Community

Duplicate a MovieClip instead of Bitmap?

mspanish test
Moderator Tag

Hello - I've got a grid of thumbs which I use to dress a subject. Right now onClick I'm tweening the actual thumb over to the subject, which leaves a blank space in my grid, and means I have to keep reloading the thumbs. Bad solution. Loading 2 SWFs (1 for the thumb and 1 to actually use to dress the subject) is not a good option right now as I don't want to rewrite all of the XML, which only has 1 swf per image.

I'm loading the thumbs via getContent from the imageLoader - and while I've found some nice code to duplicate these as bitmaps - the bitmaps look terrible compared to the original SWFs. How about casting these thumbs as MCs, then duplicating those? Has anybody done something like that? I tried using the makeCopy function that Jack posted, but kept getting an argument number error, even though I was passing it via my MouseEvent.

If anybody has done something like this, I'd be delighted to see it!

thanks a lot

Stacey

Hi Stacey

Duplicating loaded swfs isn't really supported in action script but there are some weird hacks.

This method here lets you create new instances of movie clips from loaded swfs and is a pretty sound approach from what I can tell.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6079&hilit=Duplicate+swf

I couldn't find that makeCopy function you were talking about with a search.

Hey Carl - sorry been out sick, missed this reply.

Thanks a lot for that link, it might be the missing piece to something I"m trying to do in order to eliminate a lot of wasted re-loads in my app!

Hope life is treating you good over there in the big Apple :) Still buried in snow here, but going to Disneyland next week w/ the kids should really be a treat. We've never done anything like that so we are really psyched.

have a great day,

Stacey