Search Community

Better Selection Control

KSumner test
Moderator Tag

I am trying to manually handle certain selecting. I need to be able to run some logic before a selection is made to determine if an object should be selected or another action should take place.

For example, I have an Image that can be transformed. The Image has it's own Buttons that can handle mouse events. If a user clicks on one of these elements I do not want the element to be selected, but have the event fire from the Button. If the user clicks on the Image I would like it to be selected.

There are many ways you could handle this:

1) Listen for each TransformItem's SELECT event. Run your logic in that handler. Deselect it if necessary.

2) Add a MOUSE_UP listener to your DisplayObject(s) with a low priority (so that it gets called AFTER TransformManager's listeners). Run your logic in there. Again, toggle the selected property if you need to.

3) Listen for the TransformManager's SELECTION_CHANGE event. If the TransformManager's "selectedItems" array is populated, you know something was just selected, and you can run your logic.

Does that help?