Search Community

debugging hooks within TweenLite TweenMax

eco_bach test
Moderator Tag

A fairly common and VERY time consuming debugging chore on complex flash apps using Tweenlite is often spent doing hours of detective work, trying to locate which objects are returning null

ie this error

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.

at com.greensock.plugins::VolumePlugin/onInitTween()

at com.greensock::TweenLite/init()

at com.greensock::TweenLite/renderTime()

at com.greensock.core::SimpleTimeline/renderTime()

at com.greensock::TweenLite$/updateAll()

Is anyone aware of any debugging hooks within TweenliteTweenMax that might help in determining the actual instance name of null objects?

Unfortunately, I really don't think so. a null object reference by nature points to something that doesn't exist.

Those #1009 errors are thrown before TweenLite gets its hands on the null object. The flash player itself is saying "I can't do what you are asking me to do. The function you want to run requires something that isn't null"

the only thing you can really do is try to trace out the target BEFORE the tween is created and then try to hunt down which traces aren't giving you the expected results. which back to your original problem with large apps, isn't really easy all the time :(

trace("intro " + intro_mc);
TweenLite.to(intro_mc, 1, {x:100});