Search Community

LoaderMax General Help.

mrEmpty test
Moderator Tag

Hello :)

I'm used to developing for the iPhone, so Obj-C is my tool of choice, coupled with XCode. Flash is very strange to me, it does alien things. ;) Anyway, I better start getting to grips with it because I've got a job which involves using it for 95% of my time. So much for all the effort to learn to develop for iOS. I'm about to purchase a Shockingly Green for myself.

To the point (sorry, rambling). I can get LoaderMax to load in a collection of images and stick them on my screen. They load from a standard XML with no specific LoaderMax stuff in it, this is key for me as if I do end up using it at work they will be giving me normal XML. What I now need to figure out (and remember, I've been doing AS3 seriously since 10am GMT today) is how to use it to populate a nested Movieclip of stuff. Is there anything online I could be pointed towards? I can provide more info and my current code if that would help?

And one more thing. My new job is for a not-for-profit organisation. After playing with TweenMax for a bit I know I want all of the Greensock stuff available to me as my deadlines will be mental tight. What do we need to purchase?

Wow an iOS native developer switching to Flash... don't hear about that every day. Welcome!

Your Obj-C skills I'm sure will translate well and you will probably find yourself at an advantage to most people who try to learn AS3 with no other programming background or even an AS2 background.

The best thing I recommend to you is to download the slideshow sample files from the LoaderMax section of this page: http://www.greensock.com/learning/

It uses "normal" xml that just contains urls of image files (no loadermax-specific nodes).

in short, once you can load your xml and pull out the image data, you will just loop through that data and create ImageLoaders for each image. You can set the container property of each ImageLoader to dictate where the images appear in your document.

I'm a little biased but I think this tutorial here will be worth your time as it covers a lot of the basics of dealing with LoaderMax and its events, methods, and properties:

http://www.snorkl.tv/2011/08/loading-im ... le-images/

I'm sure a guy with your experience will find a lot of good info in the documentation as well: http://www.greensock.com/as/docs/tween/ ... oader.html

----

The publicly available version of the platform is free for 99% of the things you will want to use it for. Licensing only comes into play if you charge people to access the content you create with GreenSock. If after reading http://www.greensock.com/licensing/ you still have questions there is an email address on that page for more info.

Blimey, that's a nice response :)

Jumping straight to the license, I only need to purchase if I want the extra stuff? I could code the extra bit I want using TweenMax, but it's good to support this stuff so I'll buy it anyway. Just waiting for my confirmation e-mail to let me purchase :)

I've seen your tutorial, good job. I'll go through it again as I watched it whilst stressed and asleep.

Today my plan is to take the ugliest UI component ever made and get it populated with data. I have managed this with E4X, but I have a feeling LoaderMax will be worth knowing for future projects.

As for the move from iOS. I'll keep doing that, in my oen time and maybe freelance, but my new job is almost 100% Flash based. I took it for the opportunity to learn a new tech properly and because it allows me to be in charge of my own projects. No doubt I'll move back to Cocoa and iOS again, or maybe mix it all up. I do love the idea of how easy it is to publish AIR for Android though. May buy a Samsung tablet today... :)

Must convince the lady first though ;)

Thanks.