Search Community

[resolved] Flash Player crash on load()

CaioMatias test
Moderator Tag

Hi everyone,

I'm using the following code to load some images from facebook.

var loader : LoaderMax = new LoaderMax({name:"fotosAmigosLoader", onComplete:ImagensCarregadas, onError:errorHandler});

//Load 14 facebook 50x50 images			
for(var j : int = 0; j < _miniamigosPics.length; ++j){
loader.append(new ImageLoader(new URLRequest(_miniamigosPics[j]),{name:"minifriend"+j}));
MonsterDebugger.trace(this, "AddMiniFriend To Queue");
}

//Load 6 facebook 150x150 images		
for(var i : int = 0; i < 6; ++i){
loader.append(new ImageLoader(new URLRequest(Facebook.getImageUrl(Friend(_aFriends[i]).friendId, "large")),{name:"friend"+i}));
MonsterDebugger.trace(this, "AddFriend To Queue");
}

MonsterDebugger.trace(this, "LoaderMax - Load");
loader.load();

In a first time it is running fine, but in a second connection with the content cached.

The flash player crashs after the load() method :shock:

What i'm doing wrong?

Tks

A few question:

1) Are you sure it's not MonsterDebugger that's causing the crash? I'd recommend removing all MonsterDebugger calls completely and see if it solves things.

2) Are you using the latest version of LoaderMax?

3) Can you post a simple example FLA that demonstrates the problem?

4) Does it solve the problem if you set noCache:true on your loaders? Just curious - I'm not recommending that you leave it set that way, but it would help troubleshoot so that we could determine if it truly was a cache issue or not

5) What browser(s) are you using?

I'd be pretty shocked if the problem really was LoaderMax because thousands of developers are using it in business-critical apps and this is the first I've heard of any crashing like this. But of course anything is possible. I've seen some strange bugs in my time. :) A sample FLA would be SUPER helpful in troubleshooting. The simpler the better. I'm sure we can get it figured out.

Hi, what was the resolution for this? I am having the same issue. This code is inside a child.swf pulled into a parent. Simply replace "id" with a valid facebook user id.

//WORKS

var loader:ImageLoader = new ImageLoader("http://graph.facebook.com/" + id + "/picture", {container:this});

loader.load();

//DOESN'T WORK -- crashes flashplayer

var queue:LoaderMax = new LoaderMax();

queue.append( new ImageLoader("http://graph.facebook.com/" + id + "/picture", {container:this}) );

queue.load();

The ImageLoader works perfectly and doesn't crash flashplayer but LoaderMax crashes every time. I imagine this is to do with the graph.facebook.com call which returns a string of where the image is. But this doesn't explain why it works in ImageLoader and not inside a Queue. I have also tried a URLRequest in place of the String and doesn't make a difference. Do you get the same error or is this simply my Greensock version out of date?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

The ImageLoader works perfectly and doesn't crash flashplayer but LoaderMax crashes every time. I imagine this is to do with the graph.facebook.com call which returns a string of where the image is. But this doesn't explain why it works in ImageLoader and not inside a Queue. I have also tried a URLRequest in place of the String and doesn't make a difference. Do you get the same error or is this simply my Greensock version out of date?

I wasn't able to reproduce this issue - could you give specific details about how to get the crashed player? What browser? What version of the player? What version of LoaderMax are you using? Can you post a sample FLA?

I'd definitely recommend using the latest version of LoaderMax.

It sounds like if you're having trouble only when the loader is in a LoaderMax queue, the issue may have to do with the file size audits and Facebook doing redirects or something, so you could either set auditSize:false on your LoaderMax and/or make sure you define an estimatedBytes to make sure the progress reports accurately. But again, when I tested it I couldn't get it to break.

Hi, thanks for your quick response. I have setup a FLA standalone test. I managed to get it working in the FLA fine, on a webserver fine, but crashes on localhost which is my test environment. So looks like an issue with my localhost, nothing to do with LoaderMax. Attached is the FLA and files I used to test.

My Setup:

Latest download of greensock AS3 files

Windows

Firefox 5.0

Flashplayer 10.3

Then browse to http://localhost/test/index.html and flashplayer crashes. Is there a way to get it setup so I can test on localhost rather than a webserver? Do you think this is just my localhost settings?

RESOLVED:

Issue was Facebook blocked http://localhost.com/ and everything works fine and no more crashes. So I guess now the question is where and what was causing the flashplayer crash.

Anyways, I can carry on and get this job finished now. Thanks for the push to sort out what was causing the crash.

• 5 months later...

Looks like I've solved it. The cause of the Flash player crash is this:

auditSize:true

I've got a LoaderMax instance with nested ImageLoader instances which loads Facebook images. Change the auditSize property to false prevents the player from crashing. I've double checked and it really seems to be the thing that triggers the crashes.

LoaderMax VERSION: 1.89

Flash player 11.1.102.55

Chrome Browser 16.0.912.75

Mac OS 10.7.2

Also occurs in Firefox 9.0.1

Could you post a sample FLA (and support files) that demonstrates the issue? I'd really like to see this happening. For auditing the file size, all LoaderMax does is create a URLStream and listens for the first response that delivers the file size and then closes the connection. I wonder if this issue has something to do with the site/server you're requesting the files from or the way they're sending the data to the browser/player. I dunno, but I have definitely seen server issues cause problems with Flash loading.