Search Community

Greensock for Android (or iOS)

benjismith test
Moderator Tag

I was reading this blog post, and it made me think about the potential for having the greensock tweening platform available in Java, for use within android programs. I've also wondered what it would take to get greensock ported to objective-c for iOS development.

Have you given any thought to developing any other-language ports?

Maybe if you posted it to KickStarter, you could fund the new-platform development?

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I have gotten a fair number of requests for this sort of thing. By the way, when you said "Java" did you mean "Javascript"?

I'm not at liberty to talk right now about potential ports to other languages, but if an author/company is interested in helping to do that, feel free to contact me.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I have gotten a fair number of requests for this sort of thing. By the way, when you said "Java" did you mean "Javascript"?

I'm not at liberty to talk right now about potential ports to other languages, but if an author/company is interested in helping to do that, feel free to contact me.

Actually, I was talking about Java, not JavaScript.

Java is the dominant language on Android (though there's a native SDK written in C++), so it'd be the target for most GUI and game-development code. Having a tweening library available in Android would be spectacular.

Of course, I understand the differences between Java (class-based inheritance) and ActionScript (prototype-based inheritance), so I'm well-aware that a tweening library for Java would be a somewhat different animal. I was just curious to know whether you'd considered it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jack,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but i have today started trying to develop for iOS using AS3 and Flash, and was wondering will tweenlite, tweenmax or any other greensock solution work in iOS apps?

In the first test i did none of my tweens worked, and I couldnt find any documentation on it.

Thanks in advance!

Sure, GreenSock stuff should work fine - I know of many developers using it. I am looking into one report of TweenMax not working in a particular scenario, but everyone seems to agree that TweenLite works great (and TweenMax too, with this one exception I heard of). If you're running into trouble, feel free to send me an example FLA that I can publish to see what's going on.

I have several gams writeen in AS3 and compiled to *.ipa, TweenLite works great for me, it is better than Caurina's Tweener and the Flash native tweening engine. I reccomand it , and always make sure you remove the listeners (not using weak ref), in my opininon this is the thing that fu*cks up most AS3 apps for iOS :)

• 1 year later...

I am not sure if its a greensock or ios issue but I am getting this error. My app is a bit complicated as it loads swf modules. To try to simplify and explain the app its kind of like a gallery but instead of images it loads swf. We have it working great in desktop and android but now porting to ios. The main app is running and greensock is working. The problem is when it loads a swf module that contains greensock code it spits out VerifyError: Error #1053: Illegal override of render in com.greensock.TweenMax. Any help would be great,

It sounds like you have mis-matched versions of GreenSock files in your swfs. For example, if the parent swf uses TweenLite v11.x and you subload a swf that uses TweenMax v12.x into the same (or child) ApplicationDomain, you'll get errors because the NEW TweenMax is trying to extend TweenLite, but you've got an OLD version of TweenLite in place. There are 2 solutions to choose from:

1. Republish your swfs (parent and all children) using the same major version of the GreenSock files (12.x or 11.x)
    -OR-
  2. Use a new ApplicationDomain in the LoaderContext when you subload your swf. That basically tells Flash NOT to share any classes between the parent and child swf. The LoaderContext would look like: new LoaderContext(true, new ApplicationDomain());