Search Community

VideoLoader: Feature request, 10.2 StageVideo

seanhak test
Moderator Tag

Now that 10.2 is available as RC can we expect StageVideo to be implemented as an option?

I can still use the VideoLoaders netstream object, but it would be really nice to let VideoLoader do all the handling for this (including "normal" video object fallback).

Much thanks

I'm always leery about implementing features in Beta versions of any product because they're subject to change. It can be a pain in the butt and rather unreliable. So I prefer to wait until it's finalized by Adobe and launched before I bake that stuff into GreenSock classes. But I'm definitely interested in experimenting with StageVideo and making it painless to use with VideoLoader if at all possible. Thanks for bringing it up. Don't hesitate to ping me again once 10.2 launches.

Ha ha. You're all over this.

You should have no trouble using StageVideo with VideoLoader - you can just tap into the VideoLoader's "netStream" property and attachNetStream() to your StageVideo. I can't really integrate StageVideo into VideoLoader anyway because doing so would require classes that are ONLY available if the swf is published for FP10.2, breaking it for everyone else. I may create a special StageVideoLoader class at some point, though, especially when the compiling tools are more widely available.

• 3 months later...

I noticed that in VideoLoader.as, there are several places where _video.attachNetStream() is called. If I've assigned the NetStream to StageVideo (as above) would any of these scenarios perhaps steal back the NetStream from StageVideo?

Also, when using StageVideo, it's important to be able to revert back to classic Video if StageVideo becomes unavailable (or even if we desire to draw it's BitmapData), so maybe VideoLoader needs to have _video.attachNetStream exposed as public?

Just to note also, it is possible to use StageVideo without importing any of the StageVideo classes (this will compile for previous Flash Player versions). This revolves around using constant strings instead of enumerator classes such as StageVideoAvailability and something similar to the following:

public function getStageVideo( index:uint = 0 ):Object
{
var sv:Object;

try
{
	sv = stage.stageVideos[ index ];
}
catch(error:Error)
{
	sv = null;
}

return sv;