Search Community

Individual photo smooth loading with horizontal bar

fakeartist test
Moderator Tag

Hello to all! I want to load a 50KB photo. Say that progressBar is a horizontal line with width 800 px.

private var loaderMax:LoaderMax = new LoaderMax( { name:"photo"} );

progressBar.scaleX = 0;

loaderMax.append( new ImageLoader(path, {onProgress:onLoadingProgressHandler}) );

private function onLoadingProgressHandler(event:LoaderEvent):void {
progressBar.scaleX = event.target.progress;
}

But my horizontal loading bar moves in a jerky way (jumps). Is it possible to smooth it (eg. ease in and ease out)?

In the greesock tutorials you say that

Ever seen a progress bar that appears to suddenly jerk forwards or backwards unexpectedly?

It doesn’t happen on individual loaders, but it can happen on a LoaderMax instance that is reporting the overall progress of multiple loaders (its children) in very particular scenarios.

Seems that I'm missing something here. Do I have to use tweening in progressBar? Please help. Thanx in advance.

The "jerky" progress bar I was talking about is when things jump much further forward or backwards than normal which is caused by...well...I explain it on that web page so I won't repeat it here.

Anyway, it is normal for the progress bar to be a little jerky because Flash doesn't report every single byte that it receives as it receives it. If it did, performance would significantly degrade because many thousands of ProgressEvents would get dispatched for each file. Instead, Flash basically reports progress at certain intervals. So it might go from 100 bytes to 800 bytes to 1650 bytes, etc.

If you want to smooth things out, you can definitely use TweenLite or TweenMax or TweenNano. Kinda like this:

private function onLoadingProgressHandler(event:LoaderEvent):void {
   TweenLite.to(progressBar, 0.25, {scaleX:event.target.progress});
}