Search Community

My progress learning GSAP

Sean_has_started_coding test
Moderator Tag

Hello all

Thought I’d share my developments as I learn GSAP, coming from a print design background. I hope this kind of post is relevant to this forum.

I’ve added a number of animations to my portfolio website - hegartyanimations.com - and looking to further develop my skills and polish my animations.

This week I’ve reached out to a number of experienced developers and I’m grateful for all the feedback.

I’ve had some positive comments but the feedback has confirmed my belief that I have some way to go yet to secure freelance work.

I’ll work on cutting back on the number of GSAP animations and for the banners I really like, I will resize to different dimensions.

Other advice has been to focus more on Animate CC and Google Web Designer. For the latter, it’s been recommended that I work on dynamic ads (Though I much prefer hand coding to using a timeline).

I am acutely aware that I need to get some client work on the site and that’s my aim in the coming months.

Finally, it has been remarked by several that the market for freelance html animated banner developers is on the decline. Some indicated that UI animators are much more in demand?

I am considering increasing my knowledge of Webflow. My experience in FEWD has been limited to creating marketing websites using Bootstrap.

It would be great to receive any comments on the above from experience GSAP banner developers.

Thanks all for the continuing support from members this past few months.

s

• Like 1

Hi Sean! I also came from print long ago. I led the banner development team at a big agency for several years. After Flash died, we did HTML banners with GSAP, but the demand for that work declined. The banners we did became more templated and data-driven and it was hard to squeeze any fun animation in. 

I agree that the market for freelance banner developers is declining. The ad dollars go more to social media and search. I have a friend that specializes in Google Dynamic Ads, and apparently I'm not the only one who couldn't find work doing those even after learning their complicated platform. 

I think your site looks good and professional. You might want to expand your focus beyond ad banners. I was fortunate to find non-banner work specializing in SVG animation with GSAP. I wouldn't recommend spending too much time on Animate CC or GWD unless you're really set on staying with banners. Stay curious, maybe try React, Svelte, After Effects, 3js. Good luck!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 12:35 PM, Sean_has_started_coding said:

Hello all

Thought I’d share my developments as I learn GSAP, coming from a print design background. I hope this kind of post is relevant to this forum.

I’ve added a number of animations to my portfolio website - hegartyanimations.com - and looking to further develop my skills and polish my animations.

This week I’ve reached out to a number of experienced developers and I’m grateful for all the feedback.

I’ve had some positive comments but the feedback has confirmed my belief that I have some way to go yet to secure freelance work.

I’ll work on cutting back on the number of GSAP animations and for the banners I really like, I will resize to different dimensions.

Other advice has been to focus more on Animate CC and Google Web Designer. For the latter, it’s been recommended that I work on dynamic ads (Though I much prefer hand coding to using a timeline).

I am acutely aware that I need to get some client work on the site and that’s my aim in the coming months.

Finally, it has been remarked by several that the market for freelance html animated banner developers is on the decline. Some indicated that UI animators are much more in demand?

I am considering increasing my knowledge of Webflow. My experience in FEWD has been limited to creating marketing websites using Bootstrap.

It would be great to receive any comments on the above from experience GSAP banner developers.

Thanks all for the continuing support from members this past few months.

s

Hi, Sean! Your portfolio is really impressive and stunning! How great is Lego's banner drawn as stylish constructor... Wondering it it was your idea of concept and banner's structure? or it was Lego provided you with their requirement described in details?

• 4 weeks later...