Search Community

onUpdate read current css values

danehansen test
Moderator Tag

in a scenario where i want to tween a dom element's position, but i would like to also make some caclulations on that current position onUpdate, is there a way that i read that dom element's current position without having to get it off the styles of the element or any of its getters?

im having a hard time figuring out what is going on when calling gsap.getProperty() by looking at the source code, but i assumed that under the hood that it would be calling element.getBoundingClientRect(), which in theory shouldn't be necessary if there is someplace else to get the value without calculating it off a dom element. am i correct or wrong?

59 minutes ago, danehansen said:

im having a hard time figuring out what is going on when calling gsap.getProperty() by looking at the source code, but i assumed that under the hood that it would be calling element.getBoundingClientRect(), which in theory shouldn't be necessary if there is someplace else to get the value without calculating it off a dom element. am i correct or wrong?

No, that is not correct. That's why I was asking for context - I'm trying to understand the kinds of values you want (and why). If you gsap.getProperty(element, "x"), for example, that will just return the current transform: translateX() (the CSS style). It sounds like maybe you're trying to discern maybe the global coordinate in the viewport (or the page, non-inclusive of scroll position?) of the top left corner of a particular element? 

You'll significantly increase your chances of getting a good answer here if you provide a minimal demo that clearly illustrates the challenge. :) (like a CodePen)

• Like 2