Search Community

Apply same tween to class elements

Stefanp test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by PointC,

What i'm trying to achieve is that all the <rect> elements in the svg move to position y:250. I thought it would be as straightforward as gsap.to(".bars" { y:250}).

But this applies the tween to the bars as a group. 

I'm probably being very stupid here, but I couldn't find anything to put me on the right track.

Can't I use a class selector for this and do I need individual tweens for each bar?🤔

See the Pen QWZvYym by stefanpullen (@stefanpullen) on CodePen

That worked! Thanks a million. 

Can you briefly explain why I should be targeting the attributes and what the difference is with targeting the y property?

I'm also curious how you could then set up your tween to let the bars return to their individual original y position.

x & y are attributes as well as CSS properties. Unless you put the y:250 in the attribute wrapper, GSAP will assume you want to animate the transform (translateY) which is what was happening in your demo. You wanted all the <rect> elements stacked on top of each other so you wanted to target the y attribute of the rectangles. It can be a little confusing with the overlap between properties and attributes. Bottom line, if you want to target a specific attribute, use the attr:{} wrapper.

15 minutes ago, Stefanp said:

I'm also curious how you could then set up your tween to let the bars return to their individual original y position.

I'm not sure what you mean here. It could be as simple as setting up a repeat of 1 and yoyo:true. It would depend on the desired outcome.

Happy tweening.

• Like 4