Search Community

Bootstrap 5 accordion not going well with ScrollSmoother

Alphamark test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Rodrigo,

I have some accordion items and when I open them I want the window to scroll to the opened accordion, but when smoothscroller recalculates the body height it's very buggy, and it jumps a lot. Please help

I can't recreate the problem on codepen, but i can explain it. When i resize the content on codepen, the scrollsmoother increases lightly, but with my code, the scrollsmoother waits a second for the accordion to close, and the scrollbar jumps when it's resizing, and if I'm scrolling while that happens, I can notice the jump.

Here, when you extend the accordion the scrollbar increases and decreases smoothly, on my end it jumps

See the Pen gOdBmXG by Bobiman (@Bobiman) on CodePen

Edited by Bobiman13

It's pretty tough to troubleshoot without a minimal demo - the issue could be caused by CSS, markup, a third party library, your browser, an external script that's totally unrelated to GSAP, etc. Would you please provide a very simple CodePen or CodeSandbox that demonstrates the issue? 

Please don't include your whole project. Just some colored <div> elements and the GSAP code is best (avoid frameworks if possible). See if you can recreate the issue with as few dependancies as possible. If not, incrementally add code bit by bit until it breaks. Usually people solve their own issues during this process! If not, then at least we have a reduced test case which greatly increases your chances of getting a relevant answer.

Here's a starter CodePen that loads all the plugins. Just click "fork" at the bottom right and make your minimal demo

See the Pen aYYOdN by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

If you're using something like React/Next/Vue/Nuxt or some other framework, you may find StackBlitz easier to use. We have a series of collections with different templates for you to get started on these different frameworks: React/Next/Vue/Nuxt.

Once we see an isolated demo, we'll do our best to jump in and help with your GSAP-specific questions. 

• Solution

Hi,

I'm not seeing any jumps. Is worth noticing that on full screen your codepen doesn't have a scroll area because the content is smaller than the screen height. Always include some spacing elements that create scrolling on the examples.

Finally you should listen for the events in the bootstrap accordion, so when the animation is completed and the layout shift is done you should call ScrollTrigger's refresh method in order accommodate the start and end points of your ScrollTrigger instances:

https://greensock.com/docs/v3/Plugins/ScrollTrigger/static.refresh()

Hopefully this helps.

Happy Tweening!

• Like 1

I think I have a problem not related to gsap, as I noticed the first two accordion items on my end present a problem for the website, while the others do not. I am trying to figure out what's the problem, but I'm sure it's not related to GSAP as I thought.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and sorry for the inconvenience :)