Search Community

Roll_over tween quickly kills my frame rate

benkyma test
Moderator Tag

Hi, I'm having a problem with a very simple thing. I have a menu which is made up of 16 thumbnails. When the user rolls over a thumnail, it grows a little. When they roll_out, it shrinks again. The problem is that if you mouse around the thumbnails, the frame rate of the movie quickly drops to below 20. I think it has something to do with tweens not completing, as if I set a very quick tween time, the problem is much less apparent.

I am using roll_over, not mouse_over. I am using overwrite manager.all_immediate. I have called overwriteManger.init();

I have tried all kinds of ways to do this, of varying complexity, but in essence, all I am doing is setting up roll_over and roll_out listeners, and in the handler function, creating a tween instance either up, or down.

What is the correct way to do this?

Hi Benkyma,

Good morning!

TweenLite can handle your effect with its eyes closed and not miss a beat.

If you attach a stripped-down fla with just the pertinent thumbnail functionality saved as CS4 or earlier I will take a look at it.

Also if you post a snippet of the AS code you are using to apply your roll_over and roll_out effects that could help as well.

here is a checklist of things I would look into:

-are you using the latest version of tweenlite

-do you have other complex enterframe events firing or loops running

-what is the framerate of the fla

-is there anything wonky with the images being used, like being super large and just sized-down in the IDE.

Also, try previewing your swf in a browser, on my end, using a high-powered mac with CS4, the flash player used during a control > test movie runs swfs really poorly and is not a good reference of how swfs will run in a browser or the stand-alone player.

As a reference here is a little experimental project I built that loads around 50 thumbnails and does just a simple scale and colortransform on rollover. It should run buttery smooth (regardless of how quickly you rollover/out) and give you a good idea the excellent performance you can expect from TweenLite: http://www.doyouhaveapen.com/extranet/puzzle/. there is nothing fancy going on beyond normal usage of tweenlite.

I am sure your problem can be solved.

Carl