Search Community

nested scrolltrigger doesn't seem to be initializing properly

barthendrix test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hi team greensock,

First off, thank you for building such an amazing animation library! Having only discoved greensock recently I can honestly say I haven't had this much fun making things for the web since the days of yore when flash ruled supreme.

I think I might have come across a weird edge case in which nested scrollTrigger animations don't seem to be initializing properly, please see the codepen. It's a relatively straightforward setup with a pinned container. Inside the container is a horizontally moving list in which each of the items has it's own animation. The items are positioned to look more or less random, and the scrubbed item animation moves them back to their initial state.

Before the container animation hits the start point for the first time, the nested items are positioned as if they themselves are off screen, rather than the position they should actually be in according to the scrubbed timeline. Once the start point of the container has been hit, they jump into place. From there on everything is fine.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong myself, although there does also seem to be a difference between different gsap versions. If you change the version in the codepen to 3.11.1 or lower, the items are positioned correctly the first time. Gsap 3.11.2 or higher, and they're not.

Any ideas what might be going on? And what could be done to fix the initial position?

Thanks!

Bart

See the Pen abjeyax by barthendrix (@barthendrix) on CodePen