Search Community

Momentum/Inertia Question (GSAP + Locomotive?)

swansondesigns test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Cassie,

Hello,

I was looking for some info on how to tie some scrolling behavior to scroll speed and I came across this post.

In it, @ZachSaucier says 

To get some of the same smoothness you'll also need to use a smooth scrolling library along with ScrollTrigger via .scrollerProxy().

The original poster does not reply so there is no additional discussion of this.  One of the websites listed is the portfolio site of Abishek Jha who has one of his sites listed on the Github page for Locomotive.  But, Wappalyzer says both websites use GSAP.  I started to use Locomotive at one point but the features of ScrollSmoother seem to make it unnecessary.  Has the addition of ScollSmoother removed the need to pair GSAP & Locomotive?

I also found another post from less than a year ago asking about this pairing and @OSUblake didn't tell the poster to just use ScrollSmoother so I'm trying to see what the most recent thinking on this is.  I tried to find an answer on my own but I don't know when ScrollSmoother came out!

Thanks,

Graham

• Solution

Hi there! Yeah  - ScrollSmoother is our smooth scrolling library. No need for locomotive anymore. 

A note: You don't need ScrollSmoother to tie animations to scroll speed - that sounds like you may be looking for ScrollTrigger's - scrub:true

• Like 2

Hi @Cassie.  Thanks for the confirmation.  That is great news.  I was hoping I didn't have to use both.

When I said I was trying to tie animations to scroll speed it looks like the term I was looking for was "velocity".  I found the Greensock Codepen that shows how to do it so I'll leave this here for anyone else who was looking for the same thing and comes across this post.

See the Pen eYpGLYL by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1