Search Community

Warning: Extra attributes from the server: style

cdedreuille test
Moderator Tag

Why would an empty style tag cause a bug? ScrollTrigger has to set inline styles temporarily during refresh() in order to ensure things are measured correctly and then it removes them of course. I’m baffled as to why that would cause any problems for you. I think it also sets scroll-behavior to make sure it’s not “smooth” which would break things.

I believe this is due to the new server components structure in Nextjs 13. Our code is working fine but this warning is really annoying.

I’m also using Framer Motion who add and remove inline style as well but when styles are empty it doesn’t leave an empty style tag and no warning.

I’m using a basic scroll trigger animation and no other plugins.

is there a way to make sure style disappear if there’s no style applied to the body?

• Like 1

Just an idea?

From the docs - 

Advanced: listening for refresh/refreshInit events

ScrollTrigger will perform a "refreshInit" event immediately BEFORE refreshing all of the ScrollTriggers on the page, and then a "refresh" event immediately AFTER it's done. You can add a listener accordingly to call a function of your choice:

So maybe you could do something like this?

ScrollTrigger.addEventListener("refresh", function() {
  if(document.body.getAttribute('style') === '') {
    document.body.removeAttribute('style')
  }
});

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

On 2/3/2023 at 6:49 AM, chacrasoftware said:

run into similar issue using the app directory in NextJS 13. I'm using ScrollTrigger and ScrollSmoother plugin and managed to fix it by moving the gsap.registerPlugin(ScrollTrigger, ScrollSmoother) inside of useEffectuseIsomorphicLayoutEffect hook.

hope this helps

Thanks for sharing the solution, I was getting irritated solving it. You made my day :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/2/2023 at 10:19 PM, chacrasoftware said:

run into similar issue using the app directory in NextJS 13. I'm using ScrollTrigger and ScrollSmoother plugin and managed to fix it by moving the gsap.registerPlugin(ScrollTrigger, ScrollSmoother) inside of useEffectuseIsomorphicLayoutEffect hook.

hope this helps

Hi! Facing the same problem here using Next App router. Are there any benefits of the ssr lost if using this solution?
Normally you don't run any gsap on the server, but just in case.

23 hours ago, Joyboy said:

Are there any benefits of the ssr lost if using this solution?

As far as I can tell, nope.

One thing you can do in order to be 100% safe is to create a super simple client component that returns null and registers the plugins in the Isomorphic Effect:

import RegisterComponent from "/route-to-components/RegisterComponent.js";

const Home = () => {
  return (
    <div>
    <RegisterComponent />
    /* Rest of your content here */
    </div>
  );
};

Then in that particular file:

"use client";

import gsap from "gsap";
import { ScrollTrigger } from "gsap/dist/ScrollTrigger";
import { ScrollSmoother } from "gsap/dist/ScrollSmoother";

import useIsmorphicLayoutEffect from "/route-to-file/ismorphicLayoutEffect";

const RegisterComponent = () => {
  useIsmorphicLayoutEffect(() => {
    gsap.registerPlugin(ScrollTrigger, ScrollSmoother);
  }, []);
  return null;
};

export default RegisterComponent;

That is valid JS and React syntax so it should run just on the client without hurting any other SSR capability from a regular react component.

Finally as far as I know, client components and pages in Next are still rendered in the server first and then hydrated on the client-side:

https://nextjs.org/docs/app/building-your-application/rendering/client-components#how-are-client-components-rendered

When using GSAP your JS code will always have to work in the client side, no way around it since there is no point on running GSAP on the server, plus there is no request animation frame there as well and finally given the fact that GSAP animates UI elements and relies (with good reason, which is something React team members actually recommend) on the useEffect/useLayoutEffect hooks to do so, there is not a lot of reason for going through all that hassle if, at the end you'll end up with a bunch of client components either way. This is based in the recommendations made by the Next documentation actually:

https://nextjs.org/docs/app/building-your-application/rendering/composition-patterns#when-to-use-server-and-client-components

Hopefully this helps.

Happy Tweening!

• Like 1