Search Community

Multiple stacked sections using Scrolltrigger and different timelines for each section

Visual23 test
Moderator Tag

Hello!

I've been a little stumped with this and would love some help please. I've put together a pen using parts from other pens. Here's what I'm trying to do. I want to have 4 sections within a section container. I want the section container height to be 100vh and the child sections height to be 100% of the parent. I want all of the sections to be stacked on top of each other and their z-index to start at 1 and increase by their stacking order and positioned absolute. As the user scrolls down I want the next section to fade in and be able to do different things to elements within each section from its timeline. An example is in #section-2. I would like the div ".wave-transition" to slide up from below the bottom to act as a reveal so it covers up #section-1. So basically as the user scrolls down, I can reveal the next section and have different elements do different things. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

See the Pen rNrYVNr by visual23 (@visual23) on CodePen

It looks to me like your initial pin is a section or two too short (you're starting your animations after a VH scroll, so it's unpinning too soon.

end: `${window.innerHeight * (sections.length + 2)}px bottom`,

helps fix this so that all your animations complete during the scroll trigger. 

As for the wave-transition, I'm not entirely sure what you're going for here... This example may be helpful: 

See the Pen BaowPwo by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi elegantseagulls,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. I added your update to the pen but it still doesn't seem to be firing soon enough. This code below confuses me. Does that all look right?

sections.forEach((section, i) => {

timelines[i] = gsap.timeline({
  scrollTrigger: {
    trigger: `#section-${i + 1}`,
    start: () => {
      console.log('start', window.innerHeight * i);
      return `top+=${window.innerHeight * i} top`
    },
    end: () => {
      console.log('end', window.innerHeight * (i + 1));
      return `${window.innerHeight * (i + 1)} top`
    },
    scrub: true,
    markers: true,
    id: `section-${i}`,
  }
})
  i++
})

I think I can easily get the "wave-transition" part going after the other part is correct.

Thanks!!!

@Visual23,

What might be happening is: understanding how timeline position parameters work, each .to or .from gets chained together, unless you add a position parameter. More here: 

Try this, maybe?

timelines[1].to('#section-2', {
  backgroundColor: 'red',
  duration: 1,
  opacity: 1
})
.to('#section-2 .wave-transition', {
    yPercent: -100,
}, 0)

• Like 2

@elegantseagulls

I was able to figure out the big issues by breaking out the timeline creation from the foreach and now I have more control over everything. I think the code I found was flawed so that was messing me up. It all makes sense now.

Thanks you for the info about the chained to or from!

I really appreciate your help. GSAP Rocks!

• Like 3