Search Community

How to keep div start position using 'data-speed'

cerealbeast test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Rodrigo,

Trying to implement 'data-speed' using scrollsmoother on my site but whenever I add a data-speed attribute, it moves the div's starting position which breaks the layout of the site. I have found a website that is using 'data-speed' on sections and somehow keeps the divs in the same starting position.

I can't see anywhere in the code for that site that is making this work correctly like this, hoping someone can help me out.

I have forked a Greensock codepen of a simple scrollsmoother page and changed the height of the top section from 100vh to 50vh to show how it "breaks" the layout:

See the Pen qBKwdmZ by gwjr (@gwjr) on CodePen

• Solution

Hi,

That site is actually using Locomotive for the smooth scrolling. If you inspect the data attributes you'll see that they are using data-scroll and data-scroll-speed:

<div class="p-30 xs:p-60 flex items-center justify-center absolute w-full h-full left-0 top-0 z-2 is-inview" data-scroll data-scroll-speed="3" style="transform: matrix3d(1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 116.128, 0, 1);">

If you check locomotive's docs you'll see that's how is applied:

https://github.com/locomotivemtl/locomotive-scroll#smooth

Finally in the case of your example perhaps there is no need to move the entire header, just the content inside it. Just add the data-speed amount in those elements or a parent element wrapped around the header. Something like this:

See the Pen BaVELLK by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Hopefully this makes things clearer. Let us know if you have more questions.

Happy Tweening!