Search Community

TransformManager on parent and childs

Guest ivanposta
Moderator Tag

Guest ivanposta

hi

your note:NOTES / LIMITATIONS : All DisplayObjects that are managed by a particular TransformManager instance must have the same parent "

I have on the stage:

clip1

clip2.clip2a.clip2b

clip3.textfield

can I transform clip1 , clip2, clip2a, clip2b, clip3, textfield ?

if yes or no how can ?

thanks

Sure, you can transform any of them, but a single TransformManager instance can only manage items with the same parent. So you'd need to create a TransformManager instance for each of them. Keep in mind that if you want one selection to deselect other items, you'd need to call deslectAll() on the other TransformManager instances. You would NOT be able to allow the user to multi-select items that belong to different managers and move/scale/rotate them all together. That functionality requires that the items have the same parent.

Great question.

There are two factors to consider:

1) You need a license for each developer who has access to the source code. If you're the only developer, a single-developer license will suffice.

2) There are no additional licensing fees if you're using it in a web site (or application or component, etc.) that is freely available to the public, meaning you don't charge end users a licensing fee or access fee for your site/application/component. It doesn't matter if you are paid to create the site/application/component itself. For example, if you're developing a site for Nike that allows users to upload and place images on t-shirts and Nike pays you to build the site but they don't charge end users any fees to use the product itself, then you don't have to worry about any other licensing fees for TransformManager. If, however, you're using it in a web site or application for which end users are charged a fee to use or access, you need to simply join Club GreenSock at the corporate level that corresponds to the number of developers who will have access to the source code. See http://blog.greensock.com/club/ for details. The "Unlimited" level even includes TransformManager and the rights to use it in commercial projects with virtually no restrictions.

Does that answer your question?

Guest ivanposta

For example: if I develop a site to customize electronic greating card and sell the service to some desiners but the end user that recive the greating card don't pay , what licensing I need ?

As long as you're not selling (or distributing in any way) the source code and the designers (or senders of the greeting cards) aren't paying any usage/licensing/royalty fees, that's fine. If you're the only developer with access to the source code in that scenario, all you'd need is a single developer license.

If, however, you're selling your tool to whomever is willing to pay your fee (not just a single client who hired you to do the project), that's essentially licensing it, and you'd need to get a corporate Club GreenSock membership. Or your client would - whoever is charging the usage/licensing/royalty fees.

Make sense?

Guest ivanposta

some doubts ????

the scenario for custom greating card site could be:

1)I develop the site, the end users customize design of their greating card then pay to send it.

2) I develope the site ,sell to designers as software as a service , designers customize design then they sell to their clients.

I'm the only developer of the project .

what about on scenario 1 and 2 ?

Once again, great question(s)...

In both scenarios, you're charging a usage fee for the software/site/service, so you'd need to join Club GreenSock at the corporate level. If end users could send cards for free (and you weren't charging designers a license fee to get the service), you would not need to join Club GreenSock at the corporate level.

Does that clear things up?

Guest ivanposta

ok now I think is all clearly.

you tool is very usefull and I know that you are work hard on it (I'm developer too) but ...

why Corporate level ? I'm not share the code to others , I develop an application where there are many components and the presence of your component is 8 % approximately of the full project ( database, server , front end interface, back and interface, other tools, etc, etc) . The application is on one server and I ask a fee for pay server, administration server, connection ,future upgrate , add other more features into the application etc , etc .

"my personal cosideration" I think that developers could be encourage to create new applications and new work opportunity so your tool could live into many projects.

if my app is not into corporate level developers are without wings :)

are you sure that my app is into corporate level ?

thanks

I understand your concern. It may initially seem like a lot of money, but please keep in mind that TransformManager represents over $20,000 worth of my time and if you try building your own similar tool, it will very likely cost you FAR more than the purchase price and corporate membership fee. I've gone through the headaches involved in getting a tool like TransformManager working. It may not seem complex, but if you talk to anyone who has tried building a similar tool, I'm confident they'll tell you that it's not an easy undertaking, especially with multiple selections and boundaries. If you do not think the tool is worth the price, that's okay - you're welcome to look for a less expensive alternative out there or build your own. The feedback I've received from customers has been overwhelmingly positive. Most say that the other tools out there don't compare in terms of feature set, flexibility, and ease of use. Here are a few reviews:

http://evolve.reintroducing.com/2008/10 ... xperience/

http://blog.kevinhoyt.org/2008/08/13/gr ... nager-as3/

As for the corporate membership, if you look at what you get for the price, I think you'll find that it's extremely inexpensive. In fact, when I told my intellectual property lawyer the price of the memberships the other day, he laughed out loud because he thought it was much too inexpensive. Keep in mind that the only developers/companies that need to join at the corporate level are those who are charging end users usage/access fees for their product (not just a development fee), so they're following a similar model.

Thanks for being honest about your concerns. Hopefully I've been able to address them, but please feel free to post or e-mail any other questions you may have.

Guest ivanposta

on your licensing page :

"The basic rule of thumb is if you do not charge end users a license fee for your product, you do not need the commercial license that comes with a corporate Club GreenSock membership."

If I change the business model :

I develop the application , designer pay me as a service to customize greeating card but their clients (end user) don't pay to see the work on internet.

is the project on Corporate level ?

thanks

No, that pretty much sounds like the same thing - if you're using my code in a product that you're reselling to multiple customers, that's essentially what the corporate Club GreenSock membership license permits. If you charge a one-time development fee for a particular project that uses TransformManager and the end product is freely available for anyone to use without paying any usage/access/license fees, you don't need a corporate Club GreenSock membership.

Exactly.

By the way, that gets you updates too.

That means if you could build a similar tool in the same amount of time it took me at the same hourly rate, it would take over 131 years to break even as opposed to just purchasing the license and the corporate Club GreenSock membership (plus you wouldn't get all the bonus classes). :)

I hope you see the value in it, but I'd certainly understand if you'd prefer to build your own or use an alternative tool.

Guest ivanposta

ok

first to buy your tool and avoid "30-day money-back guarantee"

My app is big and there are many clips inside others clip :

could you publish online or send to me by email an example like http://blog.greensock.com/transformmanageras3/

but with clip with childs ?

example:

clip1

clip2.clip2a.clip2b

clip3.textfield

so I can test it first online :)

thanks

The nesting really doesn't matter, but you obviously can't have managed clips nested inside each other because if the user clicks on a child who is managed (and their parent is managed too), how would TransformManager know which one should be selected (child or parent)? And as mentioned previously, each TransformManager instance must manage items with the same parent, but you can create as many TransformManager instances as you want (one for each parent).

Were you asking me to take the example from http://blog.greensock.com/transformmanageras3/ and wrap each of the items in Sprites (or several sprites) and republish? Again, it really won't make any difference other than the fact that if I want the selection of one item to deselect all the other items, I'd need to set up listeners on each TransformManager so that when an item is selected, the deselectAll() on the other TransformManager instances would get called. But is that what you're asking me to do?

Maybe we should take this discussion offline at this point. Feel free to private message me or e-mail me.