Search Community

scroollSmoothrer & Scrollbar

Funktional test
Moderator Tag

I would like to combine scrollsmother with scrollbar, I mean mainly interesting scrollbar styling (disappearing etc.) which I get thanks to scrollbar, but it doesn't work for me with smoother gsap where I have a lot of elements using data-speed. Can it be combined? 
this is what I have in the code:

const smoother = ScrollSmoother.create({
content: content,
wrapper: '#smooth-wrapper',
smooth: 2,
effects: true,
});
let bodyScrollBar = Scrollbar.init(document.body, { damping: 0.1, delegateTo: document });

See the Pen abNGeKZ by mikeK (@mikeK) on CodePen

Hi @Funktional and welcome to the GreenSock forums!

First thanks for being a Club GreenSock member and supporting GreenSock! 🥳

Honestly I don't think ScrollSmoother is compatible with third party scroll bar plugins/libraries, since ScrollSmoother works with the natural browser's scroll. The custom library you are using somehow leverages a similar approach (in the fact that wraps everything in a container, moves that up and down but also creates the custom scroll bar), although the differences could be big between them, honestly I've never used it so I couldn't tell.

I'll ping @GreenSock so He can clarify this and give a more definitive answer on the subject.

Please stand by.

Happy Tweening!

Yeah, we can't really support 3rd party libraries like that here. It looks like that particular one messes with things quite a bit, including the DOM wrapper, etc. It's probably doable to somehow get it working, but I doubt it'd be simple. 

Maybe just use CSS to style the native scrollbar. I've never really tried, but perhaps this article would help: 

https://css-tricks.com/the-current-state-of-styling-scrollbars-in-css/

Hiya, I'm a little confused now because that just looks like the native browser scrollbar as far as I can see - (chrome, macbook)

Looks just like this one to me

See the Pen PoEJvjE by cmalven (@cmalven) on CodePen

Does the scrollbar behave differently using a mouse with a stepped wheel? I've got a magic mouse and a touchpad so everything's pretty smooth anyway. Is that what you're trying to handle?

It just doesn't look the same as you can see in the example you pasted, although the fact that it looks ok on a macbook, in general, locomotive operation is completely different and a custom scrollbar is built there. Which probably can't be done on gsap smooth-scroll.

Screenshot_3.png