Search Community

DrawSVG keep drawing even through it already finished

Andy Bui test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hi all,

First time working with DrawSVG so I don't fully understand how it works with drawing. As you can see from my codepen, I set the time for 10s but it only takes about 2-3s to finish drawing the house and when I check on browser, the stroke value is still running even through the house and tree is already completed. Can anyone help me set up the correct time for the img to draw exactly with the time set ?

Thanks a lot

See the Pen poKrOXN by tcb2307 (@tcb2307) on CodePen

• Solution

Yeah, the problem is actually your artwork - you've got a single <path> that has a bunch of different segments (indicated by "M" commands). If you getTotalLength() on the path, you'll see that it's like 1157, so drawSVG correctly animates the stroke according to that length (as you can see in Dev Tools), but the browser doesn't render it correctly because it's not like there's a single stroke that can go through all of those segments. If anything, it's a browser issue. 

Normally, people use DrawSVG on single-segment <path> elements. 

So you'd need to bust the multi-segment <path> into a separate <path> for each segment. Sounds painful, right? Don't worry - I spent some time tonight writing this helper function for you that automates it all (and requires MotionPathPlugin): 

// helper function that busts apart a single <path> that has multiple segments into a <path> for each segment (indicated by an "M" command);
function splitPaths(paths) {
  let toSplit = gsap.utils.toArray(paths),
      newPaths = [];
  if (toSplit.length > 1) {
    toSplit.forEach(path => newPaths.push(...splitPaths(path)));
  } else {
    let path = toSplit[0],
        rawPath = MotionPathPlugin.getRawPath(path),
        parent = path.parentNode,
        attributes = [].slice.call(path.attributes);
    newPaths = rawPath.map(segment => {
      let newPath = document.createElementNS("http://www.w3.org/2000/svg", "path"),
          i = attributes.length;
      while (i--) {
        newPath.setAttributeNS(null, attributes[i].nodeName, attributes[i].nodeValue);
      }
      newPath.setAttributeNS(null, "d", "M" + segment[0] + "," + segment[1] + "C" + segment.slice(2).join(",") + (segment.closed ? "z" : ""));
      parent.insertBefore(newPath, path);
      return newPath;
    });
    parent.removeChild(path);
  }
  return newPaths;
}

Usage: 

let newPaths = splitPaths("path"); // or any selector text or element
// returns an Array of the newly created <path> elements

See the Pen RwJZEOv?editors=1010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

You could split a single path and then create a sequenced set of tweens if you want it to go from start to finish across all those segments too. Lots of options. 

Does that clear things up? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1