Search Community

Calculate TransformOrigin Dynamically

BebDev test
Moderator Tag

Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to scale an element until its width/height matches the screen width/height. I managed to do that for the width, but the problem is that I can't set the transformOrigin value to be correctly calculated on all screen resolutions.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards

See the Pen vYrLRex by abanobakram (@abanobakram) on CodePen

@Cassie Thanks so much. This was so much helpful. Sorry for being a headache. I'm just one step away. As you can see in this pen, I managed to get everything to work fine, but I have one question. Can I make that to happen as a part of another timeline?

So, what I want to happen on scroll is:

1- The image should rotate 360deg

2- Scale to window width/height

3- Change opacity to 0

Pin

Thanks again for your help.

Hi,

I think is best to just calculate the scale values needed to stretch the image or a container with the image as a background than using Flip with a scrubbing ScrollTrigger instance. While a Flip instance returns a GSAP timeline, because the way GSAP works, it records the start and end values on the first render and then iterates between them, so while this will work in a ScrollTrigger instance with scrub, as soon as you resize the window you'll start having problems.

An alternative is to use a call method in a timeline controlled by ScrollTrigger:

See the Pen BaVjMwK by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Also as you can see, using scale in Flip, does create a jump in the image when the class is toggled most likely because of the CSS setup, so as I mentioned before, I would do the simple math to get the scale values and use a container with the image as a background, scale the container and use a scrubbing ScrollTrigger instance.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Happy Tweening!

• Like 2