Search Community

Create layer over the top of content on click?

Adan Rodriguez test
Moderator Tag

After searching for answers, I could not find anything with the same context. I am trying to create this effect: 

See the Pen rNKBbog?editors=1010 by AdanRod133 (@AdanRod133) on CodePen

on top of the movie container.

I would like that layered on top of the content after the "Add to watchlist" button is clicked using regular elements, and layering. What is the best approach to this? Thank-you! 

See the Pen jOKEyMN?editors=0100 by AdanRod133 (@AdanRod133) on CodePen

Hi,

I read your question a few times and I'm not completely sure of what you're trying to achieve here.

I went ahead and assumed that is something like this:

See the Pen KKewyzP by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

If not, please be more specific about what you want, because mixing both codepens into one shouldn't be too complicated.

Happy Tweening!

Thanks for your time Rodrigo! Lets see if I can explain it a little better. When you click the "Add to watchlist" button, there should be an overlay effect where a transparent green overlay flashes over the content Does that help explain a little better?

Also: 

Is there a difference between "Masking" and an "overlay"? The green flash effect would be slightly transparent and be blanketed over the top of the content for a quick second. 

Thanks to  @Andy Bui's contribution and adjusting to my needs, I'm getting very CLOSE to the effect I'm looking for: 

See the Pen gOKpYZo by AdanRod133 (@AdanRod133) on CodePen

but the content is flashing UNDER the content and i'd like it to flash OVER the content. Am I coding this correctly? Is this a conventional approach to solve this problem @Rodrigo? If I remove the "z-index: -1" property, then the div covers the element and the button is no longer clickable. 

Hi,

There is no need for the z-index unless other elements in the main container have a position set. Also is better to just add the overlay at the end of the HTML.

Here is a fork of your codepen, I changed a few things in the HTML, CSS and the animation:

See the Pen WNyvNjB by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Let us know if you have more questions.

Happy Tweening!

• Like 2