Search Community

Passing on the Object to the function

_maxxy test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

as usual, thanks so much for making life of the developers so much easier, you are a start Jack!

My question:

Imagine I have a multiple tweens for different objects which all have the same function called on onComplete.

In this function, I would like to cache the previously tweened object.

My problem lies in how to pass on the Object into the function so that it gets cached. I can simply copy the name of the object and that works but I was looking for a more dynamic way.

Working example:

TweenMax.to(M, 1,{x:500, onComplete:CACHE, onCompleteParams:[M]});

function CACHE(THIS:Object){
THIS.cacheAsBitmap = true;
trace(M.cacheAsBitmap)

}

Now, I would like to substitute the "M" in the onCompleteParams with some sort of "variable" because M is a very long name of the path to the desired mc and is always quite different (unlikely to be shortened using a variable etc.)

Thanks in advance everyone.

m.

I'm confused - M is a String? The name of the object? If that's true, your tween won't work anyway because you're using M as the target and you can't tween a String. Maybe you meant something like this?:

TweenMax.to(myObject, 1,{x:500, onComplete:CACHE, onCompleteParams:[myObject]});

function CACHE(THIS:Object){
  THIS.cacheAsBitmap = true;
  trace(M.cacheAsBitmap)
}

You're welcome to use a variable and plug that into the onCompleteParams array if you want. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question.

my bad.

but yes, you are correct. M is the object i.e. "mainMC.mc2.mc3.mc4.M"

The question is if instead of just copying and pasting this into the onCompleteParams i.e. onCompleteParams:[mainMC.mc2.mc3.mc4.M] (which does the job) I could write something universal which would pass on the tweened object's name to the CACHE function too.

So instead of typing in the object's name, I would like to use something in the sense of "currentTarget" ...see what I mean?

thanks again and sorry for causing you a headache, as you can tell, I'm not a programmer :D