Search Community

Scrolltrigger problem with react router

Nwekar test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hi all!
Actually, i don't understand why my scroll trigger doesn't work i has seen a lot of resource i do the same thing like this not work, the problem i want to trigger the card come from 1 left 1 right to center, and also face another problem when navigating about page then back to home didn't work,hope my problem clear

https://codesandbox.io/embed/serene-lucy-1cdcu1?fontsize=14&hidenavigation=1&theme=dark

I'm greatful for any advice! Thank you in advance for your help

• Solution

Hi @Nwekar. I see two problems: 

1. It looks like you meant to loop over each child of homeSector.current.children, but you were just dumping them all into the first element of a new Array and looping over that:
    // BAD
    [homeSector.current.children].forEach(...);

// GOOD
    gsap.utils.toArray(homeSector.current.children).forEach(...);

So the first time through that loop, "el" was actually ALL the children (a NodeList). That's definitely not what you want :)

2. React is double-calling your useEffect() and you didn't do proper cleanup/reverting of your animation. In React 18, strict mode double-calls useEffect() by default which messes with .from() tweens because those render immediately by default, so the second time through your .from() tween's starting state matches the ending state (no animation). The good news is that the new gsap.context() makes this a lot easier to manage: 

https://codesandbox.io/s/ecstatic-lovelace-0f8pzm

Does that clear things up?

• Like 3

Why would you not want to use gsap.context()? It solves a lot of problems, particularly in React. Without it, you'll need to revert() each and every tween and kill() all the ScrollTriggers manually in your cleanup function. Plus, gsap.context() lets you scope all your selector text which saves you the hassle of having to create a Ref for every element you want to animate. 

• Like 1