Search Community

Tile reveal animation

amit95 test
Moderator Tag

I'm almost certain I've seen a demo regarding this on the forums or somewhere on Codepen, but cannot seem to find it anywhere.

This may also be because I don't know the correct name for the animation. I'm simply referring to it as "tile reveal". Could I get some assistance locating this demo please?

In short, this is the way the animation works:

• User clicks a link
  • 5 .popup__tile elements then grow from the bottom of the page, one by one (i.e. tile 1 will be larger in height before tile 2 starts to grow) until it has filled the screen.
  • Then the content fade in

If the above is hard to visualise, I have created a pen showcasing the markup I recall the demo showcasing.

If anyone can direct me to a demo for this, or what the correct name for this animation is, that'll be helpful.

Thanks

See the Pen KKRmxZj by amit_rai95 (@amit_rai95) on CodePen

Hi @amit95,

Unfortunately I can't remember such codepen example, sorry.

Also the codepen you linked doesn't have any code pertinent to the request/issue you have. Right now I don't have time to create a full example for this, perhaps another user could chime in and give it a go.

In the mean time I would approach this by setting the tile elements inside a fixed element with no height and a low z-index, place the tiles at the bottom of the screen, give them a 100vh height and a scale Y of zero (is better to animate scale than height). Then add the content inside a container with relative position and a higher z-index than the tiles container and animate the tiles with a stagger animation to scale Y of 1 with the transform origin at the bottom.

Hopefully that is enough to get you started. If I have time later I can set up something ;)

Happy Tweening!!!

@Rodrigo - I should have bookmarked the demo when I saw it. Can't never seem to find things when you need them 🥲

Thanks for your insight. To clarify, you're saying:

• Set the parent (in my case .popup) to position: fixed
  • Set all .popup__tile elements to height: 0 and give them a negative z-index via CSS
  • Set the content that I want to fade in after the tiles cover the screen (.popup__content) to position: relative via CSS
  • Then via GSAP, give the tiles a height of 100vh and also set their z-index to positive?

Is the above all correct?

If so, I've tried two approaches currently. One which works with height, and another with scaleY, both with do nothing right now. I think I've not followed one of your instructions? Can you point me in the right direction?

@Rodrigo - Having looked at my animation again, is it easy enough to inverse the direction of the animation?

For example, on entry, the tiles load from the left. But on exit, I would want them to start hiding from the right. transformOrigin: "bottom right" doesn't seem to be doing the trick?

If I understand correctly what it is you want to do, transformOrigin will not be helpful here, @amit95

Instead, you might want to use the stagger as an object, so you can define its settings in more detail.

I changed the stagger of your closing tween to this e.g.

// old
stagger: .2

// new
stagger: {
  each: .2,
}

So, did you mean like this?

See the Pen gOzxPgx by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

• Like 4