Search Community

Draggable - onSnap?

SteveS test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Wondering if anyone knows of an implementation to get a sort of "onSnap" behavior using Draggable. The use case is in implementing a sortable grid. Instead of running collision calculations in onDrag every frame, I'd prefer to only call the function to sort elements if snapping occurs.

I tried something like that by placing custom logic in the liveSnap method but liveSnap runs as frequently as onDrag does. The problem is that it isn't really an "issue" I can illustrate. When snapping occurs, I would like to run some logic.

Here is the start of what I am trying to achieve. You'll note that it is pretty broken right now for several reasons but I don't think they're super relevant:

See the Pen gOzWrYy by StevenStavrakis (@StevenStavrakis) on CodePen

My idea is that once an element snaps, it runs logic to update an array which I can call another function on to handle all the animations. I'd like to avoid doing it with hit detection and it would be extremely convenient if I could easily call a function when snapping occurs.

• 3 months later...

I'm using a point grid to handle liveSnap. When using a function to determine when something snaps, it is easy to check when a snap occurs like above, but if I am passing a points array,  the snapping is handled inside of Draggable and I can't tell when something snaps.

Sure, once we see a minimal demo I'm sure it'll become more obvious what the issue is in context and then we can suggest a solution. 

You could probably do your own point snapping in a custom function if you need access to the logic to conditionally do other things, or maybe just tap into the onDrag to sense the new location, etc. Again, a minimal demo will go a long way to getting you a quick answer. It always really helps to see the issue in context. 👍

• 1 month later...

Finally coming back to this.

Essentially, when using the liveSnap feature configured with a points object, how would one detect a change such that, every time the dragged element snaps, its background color changes? I assume this can be done with a reimplementation of the liveSnap function, but I don't know how to do that.

Here is a light demo showing the setup:

See the Pen f49fd2ba20f512d65a237c86c74b2a4a by StevenStavrakis (@StevenStavrakis) on CodePen