Search Community

gsap bug with scale animation

mblandr test
Moderator Tag

As you can see in the DevTools GSAP is transforming the `transform: scale(2, 2)` property and you are targeting the `scale:` property directly. This is a bit of a new feature in CSS and targeting it directly has less support by browsers. 

It is really interesting that we're in a transition phase now with these properties and I'm also interested in what @GreenSock thinks of this. 

Personally I'm sticking with `transform: scale()` for now, but I do have to admit that targeting the properties directly is much more intuitive.

See the Pen JjvEQzb by mvaneijgen (@mvaneijgen) on CodePen

• Like 3

That should be resolved in the next release which you can preview at https://assets.codepen.io/16327/gsap-latest-beta.min.js

It is actually rather annoying that browsers are now trying to do something GSAP has been able to do for almost 10 years, and they're still not even close to parity. It forces us to apply workarounds because some browsers merge them with transforms and some don't. We have to merge them ourselves and then set translate/scale/rotate to "none" to prevent contamination. And without GSAP, you still can't independently control "x" and "y" (they're merged in translate for the browser). And there's no skew. Same thing about breaking apart scaleX and scaleY. 

But yeah, we've already implemented forced merging of that data into the normal "transform" that GSAP applies. I'm with @mvaneijgen - I wouldn't personally use any of the new scale/translate/rotate CSS properties due to compatibility issues and other limitations. I'd just go directly through GSAP. Or if you need to set something up in its initial state, you could use CSS "transform" which is universally compatible. 

• Like 3