Search Community

gsap not defined

Ali961 test
Moderator Tag

hi guys , it is the first time that I use Gsap . It doesnt work and inside console i can see that gsap is not defined , I already  added both the links inside  script tags and added the files in a script folder and later on it source inside script tags . Any help to solve the problem ? maybe any extensions needed to be downloaded ???  thank you 

@GreenSock first i have tried using "<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/gsap/3.10.4/gsap.min.js"></script>''' but it didnt work so i tried using the extra plugins on CDN but it didnt work later i added the whole files and didnt work . do that cause an extra problem ?

It's virtually impossible to troubleshoot blind - we really need to see the issue in context but my best guess is that you put your code in the document BEFORE the <script> tag that loads GSAP. So you're trying to use GSAP before it even loaded. :) 

Make sure the <script> tag that loads GSAP is BEFORE your custom code that's trying to animate things. 

yes it works if i put the js code inside a script tag at the end of the body in the html page and after the script tag that loads GSAP . but i prefer to use a separate file for the whole js code , so i dnt write some of my js code inside the html page and the rest in a file of type js . 

3 minutes ago, Ali961 said:

yes it works if i put the js code inside a script tag at the end of the body in the html page and after the script tag that loads GSAP . but i prefer to use a separate file for the whole js code , so i dnt write some of my js code inside the html page and the rest in a file of type js . 

That's fine. You can do that:

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/gsap/3.10.4/gsap.min.js"></script>
<script src="/scripts/java.js"></script>

(obviously load whatever files you need - I just showed the core one here)

Or you can leave your code exactly the way it is and just put it into a function that's called when the document is finished loading (so that GSAP exists at that time). It's up to you. 

• Like 1

If you load your own JS-file after gsap it is really strange that, gasp isn'n defined in that script.
Have you made sure in your browsers dev-tools that the files are actually loaded? (no 404 in console?)

I generally like to initialize almost everything only after the DOM is loaded like this:

document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', init);
function init() {
	//do this fo that in other functions
}

maybe that helps?