Search Community

Remove mouse wheel scroll, use draggable only

cereal_beast test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

So you want it to be scrollable with the scrollbar, but would like to disable the mouse-wheel only?

If so, I'd guess that won't work reliably. And from a usability point of view it would be a horrible decision. 
On Safari Mac for example the scrollbar is only visible when you stared scrolling, which you do either with a mouse wheel or some comparable gesture. I'm not 100% sure abut the current situation, but I remember clearly that different dives (and their drivers) had all sorts of implementations that made it impossible to be sure if a wheel, gesture or drag-action on the scrollbar was the source of an event. 

Be aware, that wheel events on MacOS is often tricky, some touch gestures are fired in different browsers as wheel events etc. 

Also mouse wheels can be tricky under normal circumstances as speed differences, over-shoot behavior implemented through device manufacturers already often make scrolling interfaces hard to use. 

(BTW: iPads do support mouse input- it might not yet be a significant portion of users doing so and there is no way to know if it ever will be - but looking at schools it‘s not unlikely that the use of tablets as notebook replacement will happen more often in the future. If you think longer term you might also have an eye on that…) 

As already mentioned it can break usability and accessibility to tinker with wheel-support. Not all that is technically doable is advisable. 

Handicapend people might not be a large percentage of users but they deserve extra consideration, -  often it is required by law to do so. Every time we override standard UI behavior consequences for screen readers, purely keyboard operated devices (or special input devices like Braille readers) should ideally be considered. 

I‘m leaving this comment deliberately here, even though it might not be of great relevance to this thread especially, but because it often happens that threads like this one are found for a long time through search. 

And yes I know that I‘m no fun at all. 🤨

• Like 1