Search Community

Data-lag not working for spans inside h1

Praneet Dixit test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by akapowl,

• Solution

Hello @Praneet Dixit

This is probably a CSS issue, related to the spans being display: inline by default.

As it works 'properly' inside the flex container without the h1 wrapping the spans, one option would be to set the h1 to display: flex too.

But probably it would be safer to just set the spans to something like display: inline-block instead.

See the Pen RwMGNGy by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

I'm on Windows and I can see the gradient with both approaches just fine in every major browser. My best guess is that you are viewing this on Safari, which does have quite a lot of quirks with regard to scenarios like these ( gradients on text or in general ) if I recall correctly.

This really is more of a general CSS / browser related issue and not a problem with regard to GSAP.

27 minutes ago, Praneet Dixit said:

can we use another approach for solving this issue?

You have to go with however browsers work - and for being able to transform spans (which is what the data-lag essentially does behind the scenes) you will need to change their display property because tranforms don't work on inline elements (unless they are in a flex container apparently).

So if you need the gradient text to be working across browsers 100%, you will need to find a setup that allows for that with keeping in mind that you also need transforms to be working on your elements, which I can not work out for you, I'm afraid.

Here's a pen just showing that transforms don't work on inline elements.

See the Pen dympovr by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

• Like 2