Search Community

ScrollTrigger - Is slowing down scroll speed at certain section possible?

Tony Song test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

We need to slow down a scroll speed at certain sections, because we highly recommend the user to stop a while read a text and press a button. I'm curious is it possible? because I can't find an example for this problem yet.

OR

alternatively if we can block the user from scroll at certain section, it would be a better solution, but I just wonder if it possible, but I can't image if it's possible.

Thanks and regards,

Tony

See the Pen rNdNjGr by tonywei (@tonywei) on CodePen

• Solution

It depends what you mean by "scroll" :)

You can certainly control the speed of the horizontal movement by using strategically placed eases or alter the proportion of the durations in the horizontal movement. It's not a super simple thing to pull off, but it's possible. 

If you literally want to make the browser's scrollbar move at a different rate of speed at various spots, that's far more problematic. In my opinion, it's a terrible idea UX-wise, but it's feasible using some custom code with something like Observer plugin. 

11 hours ago, GreenSock said:

It depends what you mean by "scroll" :)

You can certainly control the speed of the horizontal movement by using strategically placed eases or alter the proportion of the durations in the horizontal movement. It's not a super simple thing to pull off, but it's possible. 

If you literally want to make the browser's scrollbar move at a different rate of speed at various spots, that's far more problematic. In my opinion, it's a terrible idea UX-wise, but it's feasible using some custom code with something like Observer plugin. 

Hi GreenSock,

Thanks for taking time to answer my question.

I think I will explore another UX which easier to implement.

Have a good day!