Search Community

Can I use other's bonus plugin?

alexsmith8817 test
Moderator Tag

You can use the bonus plugins freely on places like Codepen and I believe even locally, but as soon as you go to the live site you'll need a license. The "BusinessGreen" tier has an option to allow for multiple developers using the same license, but otherwise the answer would be no. You'll need your own license if you want to use the bonus plugins in your own projects. 

• Like 1

Thank you for answering!

Actually I am working as a freelancer and I am building animation website.

Let's assume I bought bonus plugins, and finish the projects, and the website coding data will be handed to client.

In this situation, client can use it and fix it? or upload it to server?

You definitely should not be using someone else's bonus plugin files. That would violate the license. 

Our entire licensing model is based on the honor system and a simple number-of-developers pricing structure. Club GreenSock is what makes all this possible. We cannot do it without the support of our users. 

11 hours ago, alexsmith8817 said:

Let's assume I bought bonus plugins, and finish the projects, and the website coding data will be handed to client.

In this situation, client can use it and fix it? or upload it to server?

When you sign up for a "Business Green" Club GreenSock membership, the associated commercial license covers an unlimited number of your work products while it’s active. The only caveat is that it covers your unedited work, meaning that if your clients/customers want to make any changes to GSAP-related code, they’d need to get their own license. Otherwise, it’d make it easy for a huge company to circumvent the license by hiring a freelancer to start a project and then take it in-house and piggy-back on that single-developer license without getting their own license for their numerous developers. See what I mean? But again, all of the work you do is covered as long as it’s not edited by others outside your organization...if (and only if) you get the proper "Business Green" membership.

It's fine for you to deploy the files [solely] as a part of your Work Product that you create for your customer. No problem. Hosting the files on their server is perfectly legitimate and common.

11 hours ago, alexsmith8817 said:

So are there some identity secret key that depends on individual information, such as name and email ...?

No, other than the special token that grants you access to the private repository, but that's only useful if you want to use the private repo. Otherwise, you can just download the zip and use the minified (or ES module) files in there. It even includes a .tgz file that you can npm install if that's easier for you. 

But again our entire business model is based on the honor system and a belief that if we keep building the best tools we can and serving our customers well (like in these forums), the market will respect and reward our efforts. We don't burn resources trying to hunt down license violators. We stay focused on the tools and service, trusting that our customers will reciprocate the respect we extend to them. 

Does that clear things up? 

I think you’ll find that the membership pays for itself literally in one project when you consider all the time it’ll save, the added capabilities and performance you get...and of course that sense of having animation superpowers is priceless 🙂