Search Community

Simulating Animation on Less Powerful Devices?

Creek test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

I was wondering if there might be a quick, easy way to simulate how an animation might behave on less powerful devices? Just worried that various animation techniques might be too taxing? 

Fwiw, I'm running an Intel MacBook Pro. Also, I can only test locally - as I'm still testing out premium plugins. 

I understand there's no way to actually test without having the device - but simulating for the lowest common denominator of devices currently in common use in the US? For instance, I own an original iPhone SE - but, for all I know, there's a cheap Android device that's in fairly common use, with only a quarter of its processing power? Or if the user is also running 200 other apps? I obviously have no idea what to expect? 

But, tying my HP48 into my rotary dial? Nothing can sweat that beast. 

2 hours ago, Creek said:

I was wondering if there might be a quick, easy way to simulate how an animation might behave on less powerful devices? Just worried that various animation techniques might be too taxing? 

Not really... without having the actual device it's really hard to tell what it's actually going to do. The original SE is probably a good baseline for a lower-powered device these days. Just make sure you are following best practices (animating properties that can be hardware accelerated, etc).

• Thanks 1

I have an old Chromebook also - possibly less powerful even than the iPhone SE? I have no idea? 

My worry is that I have a background blur animation, with another morphSVG animation over it. 

What would obviously be very cool is to be able to set a lower "priority" for the background blur animation - if the processor can't handle it, then kill that animation? 

But I obviously have no clue how any of that works? You'd think the rending machine would complain? Do slower processors engage in frame skipping, or do they just stall out completely? 

Basically - if there even is a problem - then it'd be cool to set the background blur for the devices that can handle it - kill it for devices that can't? Javascript processor queries, like CSS media queries? It's a cool effect, but not worth hosing the animation to run it.