Search Community

mix-blend-mode doesn't work as it should with ScrollSmoother

snsa_kscc test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hi guys!

I'm playing with ScrollSmoother and I have a situation. Codepen example is enclosed. Basically, ScrollSmoother causes ::after pseudo element to render in front of the typography therefore making mix-blend-mode not work properly.

Any help is appreciated greatly.

Best, SK

See the Pen VwQgMjp by snsa_kscc (@snsa_kscc) on CodePen

• Solution

That's because when you have a position: fixed element (which is what ScrollSmoother must do), it creates a new stacking context, as described here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33223603/using-css-mix-blend-mode-with-a-child-of-a-position-fixed-element

(There are many other articles on the web - just Google "mix-blend-mode position fixed")

The solution is to just apply the background color to that content element. It looks like you forgot to create the wrapper and content <div> elements (please read the ScrollSmoother docs), so it created them for you automatically. So just create them yourself so you can style them, like:

See the Pen MWQLVwy?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Does that clear things up? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jack,

first of all, thank you very much for the detailed answer and for the effort to put up a codepen explainer. Sorry, I forgot to create wrapper and content divs, I was kind of doing my codepen in a hurry, but I'm familiar with the fact ScrollSmoother won't work without them.

Everything is crystal clear, thanks again, you made my day.

Have a nice day.

• Like 2